The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Frame damage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Fort Worth
I have a s550 mustang on coilovers, steeda LCA and steeda end links. Ever since I bought the car I’ve had problems getting it aligned. The car was in a front end accident before I got it and the caster is very different side to side. I’ve rebuilt the front end 3 times already using different adjustments camber toe ect. And I can’t get the sides even for the life of me. I need a second opinion is the control arm installed wrong? Or do I have frame damage? If it’s frame damage I’m selling it and getting another s197 note: all the suspension mods were installed after I bought the car. And what makes it weird it had different offset wheels on each side when I got the car. I didn’t know until I had it apart doing the suspension. I’ve driven the car a lot it drives fine other than it pulling to the drive side (problem side) this is a major headache and I really need a solution.

Don't get too panicky on the frame damage. Even if it is tweaked it can still be straightened. Trust me on this, there are a lot of straightened s197 and s550s out there that align just fine.
Take it to a frame shop and have them check it.
I'm not sure why you can't get it to match side to side. All you need in 3 degrees camber and all the caster you can get. Just make sure the caster is even both sides..
Are the alignment folk you use performance oriented? Because it takes some time to cultivate a good alignment guy.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Agree with the posts above but your might check with friends or your Dealership about who they find has one of the best frame straightening shops in the area. There are quite a few Body Shops that are superb in this area , whereas others are just average. You may pay more for the estimate , but in the end it will be worth it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Fort Worth
Agree with the posts above but your might check with friends or your Dealership about who they find has one of the best frame straightening shops in the area. There are quite a few Body Shops that are superb in this area , whereas others are just average. You may pay more for the estimate , but in the end it will be worth it.
Recommendations for a good body shop? This car is too nice to be fixed wrong and I want it perfect underneath, cosmetic wise I don’t really care but mechanicals have to be perfect, thanks for the help btw I’m new to this forum.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Trust me I was in the business for 30+ years selling and I am simply telling you to look for a Body Shop that is really superior in realigning a frame. We redid many cars that were beautiful on the outside but needed a better tweak on the frame for alignment. Those who are Trackrats need a very exact adjustment, plus you mentioned all your issues getting it to align properly, so I was trying to politely mention to do some checking to find who is superior at frame adjustments and not trying to insult you by any measure.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Fort Worth
I let my guy who builds sxs, drift cars and rally cars take a look at it, it’s not frame damage actually CC plates installed wrong resulting in the driver side being pushed back and the passenger side being pushed forward resulting in the weird situation I was having. Get it back tomorrow and getting a professional alignment at Texas track works or a guy I knows has a Lazer and builds vipers. Thanks for the help yall i appreciate it. (Not to self) don’t let anyone touch your suspension unless it’s me or someone who knows track car stuff.

TMO Supporting Vendors