The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wet Weather Circuit Tyre Recommendation for S550

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
How wet are we talking? I use some Pirelli wet take offs in properly wet conditions and they're magic - let you run 8/10ths pretty easy.

2021-12-18_EA_COTA_RP_2073.jpg

In "damp" conditions - the Goodyear Supercar 3s are pretty good (the 200TW, not the R compounds)

Toyo RA1s but that's because we are required to for the racing class.

I'm sure there are much better options, I clicked on your profile and it looks like you are running 20" wheels. Is there room to downsize to an 18 with the brakes?

is there open tire rules for wet conditions? or do you have to follow a specific TWR?
The newer Hoosier W2 seems to be a great wet weather tire, I know for a fact the Michelins are, as well as the Pirellis.
If you have a tire rules the Goodyear Supercar R3s seem like an awesome wet/dry combination that we ran at Daytona in the slop.
I guees my pick would be the Goodyear for all around and the Michelin rains for wet only.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The issue may come down to what is available in Australia, since we often assume many tires we have in the United States are available down under. You have a lot more exposure to some tire brands ( Dunlop is a good example ) for racing and some of them may have solid racing wet racing tires. Some of the new 200 TWR tires are good in the rain, and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is used by many in the " One Lap of America " contest as it is good in the rain besides being decent on track and street. Hopefully some of the Aussie Trackrats will pop in here with their opinions.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Annangrove. NSW Australia
The issue may come down to what is available in Australia, since we often assume many tires we have in the United States are available down under. You have a lot more exposure to some tire brands ( Dunlop is a good example ) for racing and some of them may have solid racing wet racing tires. Some of the new 200 TWR tires are good in the rain, and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is used by many in the " One Lap of America " contest as it is good in the rain besides being decent on track and street. Hopefully some of the Aussie Trackrats will pop in here with their opinions.
Thanks Bill, I am going to try the Michelin PS4S

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Shaving is not a bad idea, but you do seem to be concerned about wet weather driving? The choice in Australia often comes down to what is available, since there are many tires we have in the US that seem difficult to get down under.

Shaving is not a bad idea, but you do seem to be concerned about wet weather driving? The choice in Australia often comes down to what is available, since there are many tires we have in the US that seem difficult to get down under.
Exactly, we don't shave rains as a general rule, basically our " intermediate" tires are scuff rains with a plus or minus 2psi of pressure adjustment depending on conditions, full wets are stickers with the +/- 2psi.
I think you'll find that most manufacturers recomend dry psi setting pls 3 psi, I have found that you target hot.. whatever that might be, minus 5psi will get you close.
Go watch the runoff vids I posted,guys are running full slicks in some very wet conditions.
As usual with all my recomendations, always follow the factory recomendations and of course, your results may vary.

TMO Supporting Vendors