The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trailer winch recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I all not too knowledgeable in looking for a winch. I thought I needed something that was rated for 7500lbs but that seems to not be the case. The winch will be used to pull car onto a uhaul transport. Also not trying to spend $800 on a winch if I don't have to but again, I dont know much about the pricing and features. I keep seeing harbor freight Badlands winches in my tundra forum.

thanks for any recommendations!

-Warren

Last edited:

Bugs

Jim. Avocation: Avoiding Blunt-Force Trauma.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
Hi Warren, I installed a Warn Axon 55-S in my enclosed car trailer. 5500 lb pull. 50' of 1/4" Synthetic rope. Includes the fairlead and hook. It is IP68 waterproof for external use. I got the wired-remote. MSRP is nearly $1100, but you can find it on Amazon and other places for under $800. I've been using mine since 2019 to load my Mustangs - 1965 and 2019. Still works great.

20190927_110251.jpg for just under $800. Good luck.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The ATC trailer I bought had a winch in it , but the current owner wants to keep it so this is an interesting thread. I am realizing crawling in and out the window is getting tougher and a winch is starting to make good sense. Thanks for posting the info and I may convince him to leave it in as pricing around $ 700 means he really is not saving much taking it out because he paid way more than that 4 years back.......looks like prices have gone down.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Hi Warren, I installed a Warn Axon 55-S in my enclosed car trailer. 5500 lb pull. 50' of 1/4" Synthetic rope. Includes the fairlead and hook. It is IP68 waterproof for external use. I got the wired-remote. MSRP is nearly $1100, but you can find it on Amazon and other places for under $800. I've been using mine since 2019 to load my Mustangs - 1965 and 2019. Still works great.

for just under $800. Good luck.
Thank you. I knew Warn winches were great based on google search but with all the different models, I wasnt sure what would fit my needs. Thank you for narrowing it down. At some point I will get a trailer so I don't mind paying a small premium price now than later.
Mine came with a comealong……whatever u get makesure it has a wireless controller.
Definitely.
I did this one and I love it.
Thank you. At least i know i can save a few bucks by going with a 5500 instead of 7500 rated winch

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Back in the day, I went through vehicle recovery training. We pulled everything from a jeep to a M-60 out of the mud. A rule of thumb we were taught was that you needed winch capacity one times the weight of the vehicle being recovered if the wheels, tracks were all that was in contact with the ground. Soft ground, not pavement. If the chassis was in contact with the ground or buried up to 50% twice the vehicle weight and if the vehicle was buried more than 50% three times vehicle weight. Since most of us will be winching a vehicle under 4000 lbs on flat of nearly flat ground with rolling wheels. A 5500 lbs winch is more than enough to do the job.

Last edited:
Monaca Pa
I all not too knowledgeable in looking for a winch. I thought I needed something that was rated for 7500lbs but that seems to not be the case. The winch will be used to pull car onto a uhaul transport. Also not trying to spend $800 on a winch if I don't have to but again, I dont know much about the pricing and features. I keep seeing harbor freight Badlands winches in my tundra forum.

thanks for any recommendations!

-Warren
Biggsy did you buy a used U-Haul trailer ? If so where and $$.
‘They hard to find that are for sale.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Biggsy did you buy a used U-Haul trailer ? If so where and $$.
‘They hard to find that are for sale.
No sir. Still apartment living so trailer purchase is not in my near future unless I'm given one for free lol. I did try looking for the hell of it last month and you're right, they are hard to come by.

After burning my throwout bearing loading the car after Road Atlanta in November, I figured it would only make sense to get a winch. I am working on a winch set up to be used with Uhaul trailer.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Just had knee surgery and afraid I will be Bones Duke and not be able to duck out the window anymore or very easily , so a winch seems like an idea whose time has come.

Bugs

Jim. Avocation: Avoiding Blunt-Force Trauma.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
I've also been doing the Bo Duke thing for close to 10 yrs, and a winch has been on my to-do list for a while. Thanks for all the info above!

Just had knee surgery and afraid I will be Bones Duke and not be able to duck out the window anymore or very easily , so a winch seems like an idea whose time has come.

+1. In addition to the winch, I heartily recommend a side-escape door with a removable wheel fender so the car door can swing out over the trailer tires. Makes loading/unloading easier and the trailer nicer to work in.

20200819_200614.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wish I had that ( side door ) on my new trailer as I did on my last. To be honest if one has a fully opening side door like shown a winch is not really necessary in my personal opinion. Ordering a side door is a great option as the extra cost is likely similar to ordering a winch.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
I actually prefer loading with the winch, as I can watch the spitter clearance on the ramps, and later fender clearance (only about 1-1.5" on each side) closely. No way to see that from in car.

I've used 2000-2500lb atv winches for years. You are not deadlifting the car, its rolling in neutral. Current superwinch 2500 atv has been loading cars on every trip since 2015. I did swap to a nylon winch cable, and have a wireless remote.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I actually prefer loading with the winch, as I can watch the spitter clearance on the ramps, and later fender clearance (only about 1-1.5" on each side) closely. No way to see that from in car.

I've used 2000-2500lb atv winches for years. You are not deadlifting the car, its rolling in neutral. Current superwinch 2500 atv has been loading cars on every trip since 2015. I did swap to a nylon winch cable, and have a wireless remote.
Do you use a snatch block?

Physics tells me that degree of incline plays a factor in required power to pull but I wasn't always paying attention in class.

No snatch block, straight tug in. The ramp makes it easier to pull into the trailer. No issues with using a heavier winch, it will just pull a bit faster.
I drive partway up the ramps, then hook up and winch the rest of the way. Walking alongside to steer the car.
View attachment 92712
my first time without correct race ramps, lookin like a menards lumberyard meeting vetelish at blackhawk. Was the most stressful time with my atc. AJ splitter flexed like crazy lol

IMG_4508.jpeg

Wish I had that on my new trailer as I did on my last. To be honest if one has a fully opening side door like shown a winch is not really necessary in my personal opinion. Ordering a side door is a great option as the extra cost is likely similar to ordering a winch.
Its literally a must

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I have an open trailer, so exiting the vehicle after loading isn't an issue. I ended up installing a 3500 lb Summit Racing brand winch with a synthetic rope for loading after accidentally lunching my wife into the air. She was standing on the front of the trailer guiding me up as I drove the car on. I forget to switch the 2" trailer ball for the 2 5/16". Once the full weight of the car was on the tail of the trailer it popped off the ball and the tongue stopped when it hit the safety chains. She went 3-4' in the air screaming. She didn't complain about the $180 winch to load the car by myself.

TMO Supporting Vendors