The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trailer Insurance Carrier?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, got a trailer and my insurance carrier (USAA) does not insure trailers. They recommended progressive but curious for the trailer vets out there who insures your trailer and why?

State Farm as well. Trailer is covered under the tow vehicle policy as I understand it. Have separate insurance as well because storage place requires it - $38/yr.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Keep in mind your liability comes off your car/truck, but check your State as trailer insurance can be different from one to another. State Farm, American Family, Progressive, Farm Bureau, etc. all should be able to cover you easily.

It varies state by state, but in Missouri, the tow vehicle insurance only covers the trailer when attached and does not cover contents. E.g. if it gets flooded or stolen, no bueno. Your homeowners may cover contents. If it is business owned contents, you need an inland marine policy.

The carrier at the time I got my latest trailer in 2017 did not have the VIN in their system and would not insure the trailer, so my agent got a policy through Hagerty for a stated value policy which covers both the trailer and contents. It was my only policy with Hagerty at the time but I have been told that they don't so trailers by themselves any longer. I recently moved it over to Lockton who has the race car insurance. (Hagerty doesn't do on track for autocross)

Hope this helps, no idea how relevant it is in other states.

DaveW

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Boy, this thread turned into an oh shiznit moment! I didn’t even think about contacting my agent when I bought the trailer earlier this year - just assumed liability was covered by the tow vehicle. Didn’t think about it being state dependent. Well, I emailed my agent (Farmer’s) and she said that liability from my vehicle insurance extends to the trailer while towing. I just need to email her the trailer VIN and she’ll add physical damage coverage and theft coverage, which she said is very inexpensive to add. Guess we’ll see.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Tony,
The liability can come off of whomever is towing the trailer, but with so many differences State to State it would be good to check with your agent. Physical damage is usually covered separately, contents are covered in some States, others (like Nebraska ) want a small extra fee for stated content coverage. The simple situation is to ask your agent, as one can run into trouble if loaning one's trailer to a friend and finding out later the coverages are not conducive to an accident. ( Example he/she had 25,000 minimum liability in a 300,000 accident ). You could find yourself liable in many instances, depending on your State, and asking your Agent about the full parameters of covering your trailer is in your best interest.

Boys, Insurance is something you need for everything now a days....they're selling pet insurance on TV now, for crying out loud!!!!!!!..............just curious why they call it "life" insurance???????????????..........when you'll never see a check?????????????????

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Hey guys, got a trailer and my insurance carrier (USAA) does not insure trailers. They recommended progressive but curious for the trailer vets out there who insures your trailer and why?
My trailer is covered under my USAA policy. Maybe its farmed out but, I pay USAA and it shows along with my 3 other vehicles.

Fla it is covered under the tow vehicle, superbeater is actually insured under my homeowner's policy since it is not a registered vehicle (similar to my tractor.. about as fast)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
New England
Liability is from the tow vehicle, damage to your trailer itself there is usually a "free" lower dollar amount from the tow vehicle (assuming it has comp and collision coverage on it), $1000-$3000, and to insure for more than the free amount requires the trailer to be added to the policy at your requested value, insuring the contents of your trailer can vary and there is no easy answer. Source - me, its my biz.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
New England
I’ve been using Hagerty trailer and paddock insurance for several years. Race car is covered everywhere but on track. Spare parts, tools, etc. in the trailer are covered at guaranteed value. This also covers racecars without a VIN, like the 302S.

They really customize the policy to fit your needs.
The purpose-built hagerty policy is really nice for our situations, I recommend it myself.

TMO Supporting Vendors