The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trailer Parking En Route to/from a Track Day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugs

Jim. Avocation: Avoiding Blunt-Force Trauma.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
I am planning my next HPDE. This time at PIR at the end of September. I live a long distance from all tracks, so an extra day out and back are generally required.

Many tracks do not allow the trailer/car to be parked at the track the night before an event, nor allow them to remain until the morning after. I'm looking for lodging with parking space for my Ram and 24' enclosed trailer. I usually spend some time looking at Google Maps to see who has adequate space and then calling the hotels to find out how accommodating they are. That works eventually, but is a bit time-consuming.

I've joined a few Trucker websites, but I'd prefer to not be restricted to truck stops. I've seen suggestions to get permission to park in commercial lots, like Walmart, but I'm reluctant to leave my rig far from where I'm staying.

Any clever tricks out there, or useful websites that I haven't yet found to help find a truck/trailer parking spot?

20230823_174537.jpg

I am planning my next HPDE. This time at PIR at the end of September. I live a long distance from all tracks, so an extra day out and back are generally required.

Many tracks do not allow the trailer/car to be parked at the track the night before an event, nor allow them to remain until the morning after. I'm looking for lodging with parking space for my Ram and 24' enclosed trailer. I usually spend some time looking at Google Maps to see who has adequate space and then calling the hotels to find out how accommodating they are. That works eventually, but is a bit time-consuming.

I've joined a few Trucker websites, but I'd prefer to not be restricted to truck stops. I've seen suggestions to get permission to park in commercial lots, like Walmart, but I'm reluctant to leave my rig far from where I'm staying.

Any clever tricks out there, or useful websites that I haven't yet found to help find a truck/trailer parking spot?

View attachment 89185

Find a nice local campground. Should have plenty of space, office staff, and be generally safer than Walmart (although most Walmart's probably have cameras covering everything now). They might even give you discount if you tell them you only want parking.

Also, most "storage" places usually have spots for trailers, etc, not sure if they typically do short term rentals.

Sorry I missed this. I've heard many guys lodge in Cranberry, Pa where many hotels have plenty of space for parking. It's about 20 min away and the closest major hotel area. There are no rest stops on the turnpike close to the PIR exit. PIR is becoming very popular as a HPDE and race destination. @Bugs what was your outcome for lodging/parking please? It may help other guys in planning.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
I used to have the exact same setup as you. I did the same things you did…Google Maps on satellite view to find an acceptable hotel and then call. Fortunately, we basically traveled only about three different routes so over time you learn your best stops.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Most all hotels around race tracks have areas where truckers can park. I usually back my trailer up against a retaining wall or earth berm to make it difficult for thieves to easily get the car off or out of the trailer. And your method of looking for good hotels by using Google Maps/Earth is a good one. I wouldn't leave my rig in a truck stop, lots of pirates operate in those places looking for easy targets, unattended trailers are easy to steal. Devices like these and hitch locks can buy additional delay time or thwart thieves all together. https://www.amazon.com/Trimax-TCL27...ds=locking+wheel+chocks&qid=1708865009&sr=8-5

Monaca Pa

View attachment 89185
Bugs, I live 18 miles from Pitt Race. I have friends that leave their trailers all year long there. Give them a call and I bet they can accommodate you. They even let you stay overnight . A mile from me are 5 hotels where I usually see Pitt race participants staying there. And if all else fails you can park your rig at my house.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Not sure guys, but I think Bugs is commenting on Portland International Raceway, which has the same initials as Pittsburg International Raceway. Just a guess , but with an Idaho address that makes more sense for an HPDE.

Bugs, I do what you do and check Motels/Hotels for space, and it does take a little extra time but after dragging cars to the track for close to 25 years it seems there is always someone parked there with a U-haul, construction trailer, or another race trailer and I have never had anyone complain. I do preference that with the fact that I use your method of checking google or calling the Motel ahead of time, so that does avoid hassles.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Los Angeles
I have parked at motels before that are along interstates, they all seem to have truck based parking. I also put one of these in my truck and one in my trailer (I have a battery and solar charging in my trailer), you can get text alerts if it moves or goes outside a geofence. I also hooked the power through a door switch on my trailer so if the door is opened you get a tamper alert. Pretty good deal at $120ea with 2 years of service. Additional years are only $20 when I re-upped a few years ago. You can check location and status with an app on your phone.

Don

Bugs, if you are planning on running the Hooked on Driving event at Portland International Raceway the 26th & 27th of September give me a call.
John Baumann
360 921 1293

Bugs

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
Bugs, what was your outcome for lodging/parking please? It may help other guys in planning.

Yes, Bill, I meant Portland International Raceway. Thx for clarifying!

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to Portland-IR last fall. About a week after my first post, I ran a weekend track day at Oregon Raceway Park (my favorite track and as luck would have it, the closest to me @ 350 miles). While there, I trashed my A/C compressor and blew a coolant line - thankfully near the end of the event. I have a warranty, but the dealership couldn't fix it in time for Portland, so I bailed on PIR.

Thanks to all for the trailer-parking suggestions.

I once arranged to use a storage facility in Moab UT (for trailering two motorcycles in my car hauler). We got it arranged, but it was a funky transaction. That trip fell through as well. In my experience, short-term storage rentals are rare.

The cost of an RV-Park is generally a bit high for me: $50-$75/night just for the trailer. I'll keep asking though, to see if I can get a price break.

I can generally find a motel to stay at after some effort. The exception for me was a few years ago at Laguna Seca. I contacted many hotels in Monterey and completely struck out. (Where do all the HPDE folks stay?!) I did find a suitable motel in Salinas, which is only 12 miles from the track, but wound up not needing it because I was allowed to drop the trailer at the track the night before the event and then departed the area the evening after it ended.

Two weeks from now, we have another trip set up for Laguna Seca. My wife is going with me this time. We'll spend a few extra days looking around Monterey and Carmel. She found an AirBnB right across the highway from the track at a decent price with lots of room to park the trailer while we explore the area. It's called "The Petite Retreat".

Thx again!

Bugs

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
Hi Rod, I have not driven at UMC. I thought I was going to when Ford had their GT350 Track Attack running there, but they moved the program to Charlotte Motor Speedway, so I got to run at the Roval instead.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Having run at Miller ( Utah Motorsport Campus ) two different times ( one with the Ford School for 3 days and another in a Viper ) you need to put it on your schedule. As noted NASA runs there often and one of the best things about the track is it is fast, but it also is forgiving -- screw up and you are just in the dirt. Make it a priority, since it is relatively close and well worth exercising your Pony!

Bugs

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
Hi Rod, Will do. UMC is definitely on my bucket list!

TMO Supporting Vendors