The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Multiple engine tunes for your street / track car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
For those that have a true street / track car (arrive and drive), are you using one ecu tune strategy or multiple tunes depending on street or track?

I have a 2011 5.0 but this can apply to any flash-able car. My thought was the tune should be an improved version of what the oem offers that can cover both venues. I would also prefer to not have to be flashing and reflashing. However the 1 tune strategy may be either leaving performance on the table for the street and/or safety at the track.

For those in a similar situation, do you use one tune or switch depending on application?
Thanks,

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
For those that have a true street / track car (arrive and drive), are you using one ecu tune strategy or multiple tunes depending on street or track?
I was using multiple tunes on my supercharged 2014 5.0. Very useful to me when alternating from pump gas or E85 for street, or E85 and 100 octane (when E85 wasn't available) on the track. The performance of E85 & 100 with an effectively tuned engine is... Remarkable, and safe.

Never forget to reflash when switching to pump gas! A 10 minute flash is near effortless after a few times.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
So with your setup, the tune was based on the fuel, the application or both?

thanks
5 different tunes for various fuels and applications. Shaun at AED did me right, one dyno session and once he had the car dialed in, additional different calibrations were easy and relatively inexpensive.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Other things I've used multiple tunes for is throttle response changes (less aggressive for wet/slick) and rev limiter changes (higher for autox where it is low gears and short duration). But with NA generally try to always run the max power tune for your fuel, unless you want to trim for NASA dyno compliance.

TMO Supporting Vendors