The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gen2 Engine Rebuild Needed or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
This used to be a no-brainer when it was $400 cheaper.
Wow, that kit really exploded in price for some reason. Maybe because it was a short-run part for the few years of the S550 GT500? I still have that kit in my stash from when I ordered it back in Fall of 2020... $699.95 on the receipt from Summit (which I thought was a heck of a deal considering what was included in the kit). Did some really quick digging and it's still available in the 900s from Kohr, LMR, CJ and Summit always has the beat-a-price guarantee too if you find a nice price from a place you don't want to risk ordering from.

TX
Gen3 shortblock is the right choice for sure. I'd personally reuse your OEM heads and upgrade the valve springs so you have a bit more safety at high RPM.

I have 3 sets of LU47 injectors if you want a screaming deal. One is new (installed, but car never ran on them) and the other two are typical used.

TMO Supporting Vendors