The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

We did not buy our Cars for fuel mileage , but...............

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
.............I will admit to switching over to gas vs diesel for my last two trucks due to costs. I usually get 16-21 with my Ram 1500 and towing I will get anywhere from 7-11 depending on the wind. This was pulling a 26 foot trailer and when I yank around my son's 20ft ATC I usually get 9-11, but my Diesels never really got much more than 10-12 and 9 seemed to the be magic number. Regardless, it is nice to see fuel prices down , and filling a Mustang with Premium around the Omaha Metro area can be as little as $3.03 per gallon, and plain ole regular is $2.55 to 2.59 at super competitive stations. The rub is Diesel is still over $4.00 in many places and this makes little or no sense , yet it has been like this for years and unfortunately for those with Diesels it seems to be getting worse.

Anyway, enough commenting on this, just wondering what fuel prices are like in your neck of the woods?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Diesel mileage decreased and cost increased when the government mandated low sulfur diesel fuel. This greatly reduced the benefits of diesel trucks. If I was buying now it would probably be a gas engine.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I forgot they started making a 7.3 gas motor. My mind went straight to the diesel. I know they are popular in motor homes but don’t know anyone with one.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I paid $2.61 at Sam’s Club for 87 octane the other day. That is the best price around. I have not bought premium or diesel in a few weeks so don’t know current prices.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
In Minnesota I'm seeing regular just under $3 at some stations. Hoping it keeps dropping. Pulling the RV to AZ after Xmas and the F150 really likes that premium.

CA
I have been looking at both.
Does anyone have experience with the new(ish) Ford F-250 s with the 7.3?
The 7.3's have relatively consistent issues with chewing up lifters/cam lobes, and the 10speed transmissions seem to be relatively problematic. People love them until they fail.

From what I've read, a 2018 or older 6.2L is a much more reliable truck, so me personally I would go with that unless you are towing tons of weight.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
I have been looking at both.
Does anyone have experience with the new(ish) Ford F-250 s with the 7.3?
I’ve posted this here somewhere before. Before I got my ‘15 F250 I was renting 250’s/350’s from Enterprise…you’ve seen them. Once they only had a 2020 F350 with the 7.3L gas burner with the 10 speed transmission . Thank goodness I was only going 100 miles to Barber. It was the absolute worst towing experience in my life. I think it averaged less than 6MPG. I was literally afraid to pull out in traffic just to try and pass someone. Don’t even want to talk about hills.

Ford designed the motor for towing but ive heard mixed stories

im seeing 12-16 towing my 28FT ATC with the f350
Some buddy's of mine at Forte's Auto Restoration did some RnD with that engine in a marine application. They set a new world's record for water skiing by pulling something like 30 skiers at once.

TMO Supporting Vendors