The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A little history lesson

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Cool story.

Anyone else spot the E-Type Jag in the background of the B&W pic of the Mustang in front of the shop?

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
What an engine, as a kid I remember building several models with this engine in it, lots of little pieces for that exhaust system.
IIRC A.J. Foyt bought the Indy car engine rights from Ford. Wonder if AJ has a few of these laying around? I believe this engine was also going to be used in the Ford GT?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks for posting Blacksheep, GB899 texted me this story on Wednesday and I did not think to put it on the Forum so very thankful you did --- such a cool bit of Mustang history.
Of course Rob's 67 Fastback is the same color and he jokingly wondered if he should put decals on it to resemble this beast, ha!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West
There is one of these engines on display at The Cobra Experience in Martinez, Ca. It is well worth the time if you have any interest in Cobras. Should I ever get back there I will put a bit more diligence into studying it and take more photos.

Dave_W

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
If I get back to Solo Nats in Lincoln, NE, I'll have to look for one of these engines at the Speedway Motors museum.

Dave_W

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Nice overhead shot of the "bundle of snakes" exhaust headers. I believe the primary reason for "reverse flow" (intake ports on the outside & exhaust ports on the inside of the heads) was to easily create a true "180 degree" exhaust header that had primary lengths appropriate for the engine's rpm range.

Plus they sound great

Nice overhead shot of the "bundle of snakes" exhaust headers. I believe the primary reason for "reverse flow" (intake ports on the outside & exhaust ports on the inside of the heads) was to easily create a true "180 degree" exhaust header that had primary lengths appropriate for the engine's rpm range.

Plus they sound great

As I recall, those heads were reversible, I think I remember AJ Foyts sprint car had the headers on the bottom

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
One more piece on A.J. Foyt, only driver to win Indy in a car and engine he built. I'm sure he had a bit of help. One of my fondest memories of A.J.'s driving days was the year at Indy when there was a new transmission used by some teams, including A.J. The transmission case was cleaned up compared to other in the hope it would have less aero drag. Well the transmissions began overheating during the race and shifting became difficult or impossible. A.J.'s was stuck when he came into the pits. IIRC A.J. got out of the car and grabbed a wrench or hammer and started beating on the transmission. Unfortunately A.J. was done. Always enjoyed watching Super Tex drive what ever, sprints, Indy, stock cars, sports cars.

One more piece on A.J. Foyt, only driver to win Indy in a car and engine he built. I'm sure he had a bit of help. One of my fondest memories of A.J.'s driving days was the year at Indy when there was a new transmission used by some teams, including A.J. The transmission case was cleaned up compared to other in the hope it would have less aero drag. Well the transmissions began overheating during the race and shifting became difficult or impossible. A.J.'s was stuck when he came into the pits. IIRC A.J. got out of the car and grabbed a wrench or hammer and started beating on the transmission. Unfortunately A.J. was done. Always enjoyed watching Super Tex drive what ever, sprints, Indy, stock cars, sports cars.
I watched that happen, I haven't missed an Indy 500 since Bobby Unser won it in 68.
I am a Foyt fan myself

TMO Supporting Vendors