The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Laguna Seca dodges a bullet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugs

Jim. Avocation: Avoiding Blunt-Force Trauma.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
Great news!

I developed a fascination for Laguna Seca watching CART and Cam-Am events starting in the 70's. I had to wait until late in life to start my HPDE hobby. Laguna Seca was at the top of my bucket list.

After starting with Hooked-On-Driving in the summer of 2019 at Oregon Raceway Park, I had my 3rd and 4th track days scheduled for the end of Jan 2020. I was financially prepared for retirement and was contemplating the best time to leave. In mid Jan, my company made the decision for me by kicking me out of the nest with a nice severance. I had the option to leave immediately or work two more weeks - either way, fully paid. I told them I'd stay for 7 days to assist in transitioning my work responsibilities. On day 8, I had my Shelby GT350 loaded in my trailer and drove 740 miles to Monterey. On Thursday and Friday, my company paid me to drive at Laguna Seca. I can't think of a better way to start a retirement. Instead of a rocking chair, I chose a chair that really rocks!
GBMD2563.jpg

Two weekends ago, my wife and I drove back to Monterey for two track days. On Sunday, my bride joined me for Track Session #1 - the first time she's been on track. I took it easy and she really enjoyed it. She has heard about the "Corkscrew" for decades and was happy to be able to experience it. She said she now understands why I am addicted.
GBMD5051.jpg

We stayed at an AirB&B located across the highway south of the track. It was a nice loft apartment above the owners garage. After the track event, we spent several more enjoyable days in Monterey. The owners of the AirB&B were not big fans of the Highway 68 Coalition. They said they get a lot of clients coming to drive at the track because it's so close and they have room for a trailer.
Monterey AirB&B with Rig 240314.jpgBig Sur Coast with Shelby 240312.jpgPebble Beach 240313.jpg

Great news!

I developed a fascination for Laguna Seca watching CART and Cam-Am events starting in the 70's. I had to wait until late in life to start my HPDE hobby. Laguna Seca was at the top of my bucket list.

After starting with Hooked-On-Driving in the summer of 2019 at Oregon Raceway Park, I had my 3rd and 4th track days scheduled for the end of Jan 2020. I was financially prepared for retirement and was contemplating the best time to leave. In mid Jan, my company made the decision for me by kicking me out of the nest with a nice severance. I had the option to leave immediately or work two more weeks - either way, fully paid. I told them I'd stay for 7 days to assist in transitioning my work responsibilities. On day 8, I had my Shelby GT350 loaded in my trailer and drove 740 miles to Monterey. On Thursday and Friday, my company paid me to drive at Laguna Seca. I can't think of a better way to start a retirement. Instead of a rocking chair, I chose a chair that really rocks!
View attachment 94239

Two weekends ago, my wife and I drove back to Monterey for two track days. On Sunday, my bride joined me for Track Session #1 - the first time she's been on track. I took it easy and she really enjoyed it. She has heard about the "Corkscrew" for decades and was happy to be able to experience it. She said she now understands why I am addicted.
View attachment 94237

We stayed at an AirB&B located across the highway south of the track. It was a nice loft apartment above the owners garage. After the track event, we spent several more enjoyable days in Monterey. The owners of the AirB&B were not big fans of the Highway 68 Coalition. They said they get a lot of clients coming to drive at the track because it's so close and they have room for a trailer.
View attachment 94240View attachment 94241View attachment 94243
In a prior post, you will find that the highway 68 coalition is a group of about 5 people. What they need to do is sue the realtor for not telling them the track was there, or blame themselves for not doing due diligence

TMO Supporting Vendors