The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A moment of silence please...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's been a sad few days. Saturday I had to watch a fellow mustang owners GT350 go up in flames at the track. I don't know why or what happened for sure as he left the track immediately after it happened, but if/when I find out what happened I'll let you all know.

Pretty sure it was Joe Charles' TY track pack car. Some speculation it was from a fluid leak towards the rear of the car that caught fire, from the pictures I wouldnt be surprised if that was the case.

13118097_1594224684201868_1756964342_n.jpg

VoodooBOSS said:
Didn't he have some mods done to the engine and exhaust?

Yeah. I have my ideas of what may of happened and it's only speculation. But I'm wondering if the horizontal "kooks" muffler bracket rubbed through the rear diff cooler lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk911fc0d31d833f49a85109c3f7369545.jpg

I know the kooks system also eliminates the 2 counterweights/dampers on the headers, I wonder if its possible this created excess oscillation of the entire system to magnify the problem

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Seeing as how no other GT350 with track use has had the problem in factory form I would say this is likely the culprit. Such a tough spot to be in with a car that is new and not super easy to replace

That confirms my suspicion in that it looks a lot worse than it is. Which isn't a bad thing.

Were any of you guys out there?

krt22 said:
I know the kooks system also eliminates the 2 counterweights/dampers on the headers, I wonder if its possible this created excess oscillation of the entire system to magnify the problem

The kooks system has the dampers and flex pipe section. Even without them it would not cause a fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Any updates on the actual cause if failure that caused this Shelby GT350 to burn? Anyone know the owner or perhaps have additional photos of the undercarriage?

I did once see a mid to late 70's Corvette that was running rich to backfire, exploding the right side rear muffler causing a fire and it also blew a hole through the the right side lower rear quarter panel.

Was the car returned to a Ford Dealership for inspection and repair?

Just wondering about this,
302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors