The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Advacne Auto Parts Castrol Edge Synthetic on Sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey gang I picked up an Advance Auto Parts flyer today and noticed a special on Castrol Edge Synthetic motor oil. Here in Louisiana its $9.19 qt BOGO free, that works out to $4.60 a qt rounding up. Sale starts Nov 27th and ends 1 Dec so time is limited.

Hack

drano38

Wayne
Thanks for the post!
I stopped in the local store at lunch, and they verified they'll be BOGO too.
So I'll get stocked up Friday.

drano38

Wayne
Got my stash today. ;D
Guess I'm good for a while. And I've still got 4 cases left from the last sale.
Yes, that's a Deere snow blower to the left. But luckily we're getting above average temps, so hope to not use it for a few weeks.
2014-12-05_19-40-01_932_zps7ce97d2a.jpg

WinterSucks said:
Not trying to start a debate, but the Castrol is no longer approved by Ford, apparently. Anyone know the reason why and if it is a big deal?

From my understanding Castrol Syntec 5w-50 never met the new Ford spec. The reason is too much zinc which causes the cats to age quicker, but zinc is great at protecting wear surfaces. IMO I'll save the bearings and buy new cats if I have too. I also run Mobile 1, whichever is on sale oil is oil when you change it as often was I do.

Did some reading, and yea it's because of the extra additives that can shorten CAT lifespan. So no biggie. UnleashedBeast (the guy who is big on Amsoil 10W40 for our engines) had some evidence that the Castrol is still better than Motorcraft and I guess similar to Mobil1 when it comes to wear seen in oil analysis. They are still only a group III, so you get what you pay for. And with this sale I would say you get more than you pay for.

WinterSucks said:
Did some reading, and yea it's because of the extra additives that can shorten CAT lifespan. So no biggie. UnleashedBeast (the guy who is big on Amsoil 10W40 for our engines) had some evidence that the Castrol is still better than Motorcraft and I guess similar to Mobil1 when it comes to wear seen in oil analysis. They are still only a group III, so you get what you pay for. And with this sale I would say you get more than you pay for.

Thanks for the info. I'm still of the mindset that quality oil and routine maintenance based on severity of usage makes for long engine life. My Blackstone numbers were great with 1 track day, 5500 miles and 6 months between oil changes. They even stated the oil could handle another track day before changing. However, most of my track events are 3 to 4 months apart normally so I change the oil prior to each event regardless of Blackstone recommendations.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Thanks for the additional info. I have been running castrol since July and will have it analyzed when I change the oil in the spring to compare against the M1 and Motorcraft I've run. Castrol has about 600 track miles on it so well used.

Happy with my deal this time around tho!

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
I used M1 5w50 last year. Put on ~2500 street miles and ~300 track miles. It sheared a bit, but far less than the Motorcraft oil and it was in good shape when I pulled the sample for analysis. I will run it again when I find it for a good deal

big red one said:
we can't buy castor edge 5-50 in the uk so I'm thinking of using the Mobil1 peak life 5-50, anyone used it?

I've ran both Castrol Edge and Mobile 1 5w-50 with great results. Not sure about Mobile 1 peak life. Never actually heard it referred to by that name. Maybe its just a regional thing you being in the UK and all

TMO Supporting Vendors