The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Are Ford Performance Track Dampers enough for Steeda Dual Rate Springs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Logan, UT
I recently purchased a 2015 performance pack GT in comp orange with 96k miles. The dampers feel tired, and getting on the throttle for even a freeway onramp, the rear end feels loose and sloppy. In addition to stiffening the rear subframe, I feel my dampers are pretty tired. I ordered ford performance track dampers to replace my current ones. I found a good deal on Dual Rate springs, but I'm curious if the track dampers are up to the task, or I should stick with something like the SP083 handling springs. Ive been in a GT350 with dual rate springs, and they didn't feel harsh by any means, but that car also has magneride, so I feel I can't really judge the experience how my car would feel. Optimally, someday I will get either Ohlins Road & Track coils, or the Shelby / Penske double adjustable setup, but for now I need something better than stock. I have done autocross and HPDE in my track prepped S197, but I am totally new to the S550 platform.

Long winded, I know. I also understand lots of people run either track dampers with SP083 or Steeda Adjustables with dual rate springs. In all my searching, I found ONE person state they had track dampers with dual rate springs, but I couldn't really find feedback on how that handled.
Sponsored

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I had the ford performance complete track suspension on my '16 S550 PP1 car. It is an excellent package, engineered for all the parts to work together. It absolutely was a great package, transformed the car on the track but extremely streetable. I highly recommend that approach vs the mix and match approach of one make of spring with a different make of bars and and someone else's shocks.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
I have used the FP track dampers with both the Steeda dual rate and BMR handling springs. I swapped the Steeda springs for the BMRs when I had the suspension all apart to install spherical bearings and aluminum subframe bushings because I had read more feedback about them. The main difference I felt between the two setups I attributed to the bearings. Ride quality was very similar.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Just something else to throw in lol…In a perfect world for me I would go with AJ’s set up but there aren’t dampers to handle those rates. Possibly Steeda adjustable.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Just something else to throw in lol…In a perfect world for me I would go with AJ’s set up but there aren’t dampers to handle those rates. Possibly Steeda adjustable.
But the Steedas are twin tube shocks.
In all reality, I don't know how much of a difference monotube vs twin tube makes, I just know monotubes are more consistent, handle loads better, quicker to react, etc....but would they actually make your lap time slower 🤷‍♂️ no idea.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Logan, UT
In all reality, I don't know how much of a difference monotube vs twin tube makes, I just know monotubes are more consistent, handle loads better, quicker to react, etc....but would they actually make your lap time slower 🤷‍♂️ no idea.
Strano just shared a really good shock absorber article from Penske that broke down pros and cons of each. I like the idea of monotube, and have a set of ford track dampers waiting to go on the car. But I also know some semi big name coil companies like KW still use a twin tube damper.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I just mentioned it because it’s the only damper that is used with the highest rate spring. I contacted Bilstein a few months ago and they said to stay within 10% of OEM rates for the B6 dampers.
But no complaints with my Ford track dampers and BMR springs. Just want more rate front and rear lol.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Logan, UT
I just mentioned it because it’s the only damper that is used with the highest rate spring. I contacted Bilstein a few months ago and they said to stay within 10% of OEM rates for the B6 dampers.
But no complaints with my Ford track dampers and BMR springs. Just want more rate front and rear lol.
I know Penske now offers shock inserts for koni shock bodies

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Completely agree. Not a lot of damper options without going coilover. At least with hard track use in mind.

Strano just shared a really good shock absorber article from Penske that broke down pros and cons of each. I like the idea of monotube, and have a set of ford track dampers waiting to go on the car. But I also know some semi big name coil companies like KW still use a twin tube damper.
Steeda uses twin tube but look at who they market to.....street car guys.
KW as a company definitely know what they're doing but I think their V3 is targeted more towards street cars with infrequent track use. The fact that they sell that kit with progressive springs is also a dead giveaway that it's not meant for track use.
Their clubsport kits are nice, but for the price, I'd just go with MCS/Penske.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Logan, UT
T
Completely agree. Not a lot of damper options without going coilover. At least with hard track use in mind.

Steeda uses twin tube but look at who they market to.....street car guys.
KW as a company definitely know what they're doing but I think their V3 is targeted more towards street cars with infrequent track use. The fact that they sell that kit with progressive springs is also a dead giveaway that it's not meant for track use.
Their clubsport kits are nice, but for the price, I'd just go with MCS/Penske.
That was my problem with the s197 I had. Koni yellows and lowering springs were great, but when it came down to it I needed more adjustments. So I looked at kw club sports and saw they were almost as much as cortex penskes

TMO Supporting Vendors