The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Bad Habit Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Company...."young and not afraid".....those were the days..................now it"s old and watch your step.....Boys, Cherish your Youth!!!!!!!!!!!....Good thing my Boss makes me feel like I'm 20 when I turn that key.............GIDDY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
Well Driveshaft Shop failed to include a package of hardware which I only realized once I got to installing the flange to the trans. Also they don't or didn't include a packing slip of box contents or install directions so feeling less great about that product selection. DSS is sending me the missing hardware (3 bolts and nuts to secure the flange to the trans mount). Was about to re use the OEM bolts but luckily I called them to check. Just hope it's balanced correctly when it's finally installed.

Should I expect to clock everything down again after some test miles or only if there's vibration?

Did get the trans fluid swap to Syncro Shift II done. The original trans fluid seemed surprisingly dirty / dark but cant say I know what it looks like fresh.

Switched to Royal Purple stuff in the rear diff last year and only have 2 HPDE days on it so will leave that be for now.

20230414_144542.jpg

20230414_121500.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well you had better luck than I did with " The Driveshaft Shop " as I have called them ( left a message ) and emailed them numerous times and have never gotten a response. Kind of baffles me, since I told them I wanted to purchase an aluminum driveshaft from them but I wanted to verify they were the same for a GT 5.0 with the MT-82 and the Mach 1 6 speed with the Tremec. I finally just gave up since I could not get a simple answer.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
Well you had better luck than I did with " The Driveshaft Shop " as I have called them ( left a message ) and emailed them numerous times and have never gotten a response. Kind of baffles me, since I told them I wanted to purchase an aluminum driveshaft from them but I wanted to verify they were the same for a GT 5.0 with the MT-82 and the Mach 1 6 speed with the Tremec. I finally just gave up since I could not get a simple answer.
Took some waiting on hold but I got through. If I have to wait more than like 4 days for the hardware I'm just going to return the whole thing. For a $1k product, a bag of 3 bolts and nuts should be express shipped.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
Switched to a magnetic tip oil plug last year (might have 1 HPDE event using it? Might have installed after my last one, can't remember).

How concerned should I be with this amount of metal shavings? Car has 7800 miles on it and 4 HPDE. Oil has been changed 3 times (this is my 4th oil change).

My take is if there's more the next oil change I might have a problem. Engine is stock but I'm waiting on a tune.

20230415_152734.jpg

20230415_151806.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
Got the DSS shaft snugged up finally after getting the correct hardware. Getting the flange torqued down to 70lbft while holding the flange in place with a pry bar was a real b*tch with the car on stands. After that actually getting the DS into place was easy. Going to locktite and torque the DS bolts today.

Question: is it possible to test for DS vibrations while on jack stands? Sounds like a bad idea just to potentially save some time if I have to clock it and remove the exhaust again...

20230422_182606.jpg20230422_172947.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
Got the DSS shaft snugged up finally after getting the correct hardware. Getting the flange torqued down to 70lbft while holding the flange in place with a pry bar was a real b*tch with the car on stands. After that actually getting the DS into place was easy. Going to locktite and torque the DS bolts today.

Question: is it possible to test for DS vibrations while on jack stands? Sounds like a bad idea just to potentially save some time if I have to clock it and remove the exhaust again...

View attachment 85865View attachment 85866
Delayed follow up: vibrated on the highway after all that effort & just had a mechanic put the stock ds back in. Sunk too many hours into it to undo my own work... I think these ds are hit and miss with the balancing. I will say the directness was very nice, wish I could have kept it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
After returning the DS for a full refund (kudos to AmericanMuscle for that after the bs I went through w the hardware & balancing) got an SCT tuner w 93 and e85 programs.

Wemt with Tuning by James (Steeda partner). Talked on the phone for an hour w James and learned a whole lot. I cant compare directly to Lund or other big names but the top end gains both in peak power & powerband are undeniable. Went with James bc of his niche experience with the coyote w 350 intake.

93 tune really impressive in the lower rev range, even more so with e85. 93 will be my go to program even on the street. Ran e85 at RA and got to feel the top end gains but I wasn't wringing it out to the now 7.5k redline very often- the speed at RA even going 85% is more than enough for my experience level. Was a pain to have to fill up so often but for engine temps, cat longevity, etc probably worth the hassle.

TMO Supporting Vendors