The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss resale starting to erode?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I look at it this way, the lower the value, the less it hurts converting it to a race car :p but I don't use my brain when it comes to tracking, only emotions ;D

Try buying a nice and unmodified 1991-1993 fox body for anywhere close to it's original sticker. I've been looking. Boss will be worth what you paid 15-20 years from now if not more. The 4-10 year from new period for sure it'll god down as is but not as badly as "regular" mustangs.

Fun to discuss. Some don't care. Some watch it like a hawk. Some accept. All enjoy

Boss1601 said:
Try buying a nice and unmodified 1991-1993 fox body for anywhere close to it's original sticker. I've been looking. Boss will be worth what you paid 15-20 years from now if not more. The 4-10 year from new period for sure it'll god down as is but not as badly as "regular" mustangs.

Fun to discuss. Some don't care. Some watch it like a hawk. Some accept. All enjoy

Here is an unmodified 1993 Cobra, leather and sunroof, documentation, with 62,000 miles for $15,900. http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5357783332.html

I think they stickered for over $19K.

But anyway, my point has been made. Boss resales are heading down, and even if you don't plan on selling, you need to consider what is going to happen if some texting bozo rear ends you going 50 MPH.

The Black Book trade-in value of my Boss seems to have come up a couple thousand dollars since last time I checked using their online calculator.

coboss said:
Here is an unmodified 1993 Cobra, leather and sunroof, documentation, with 62,000 miles for $15,900. http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5357783332.html

I think they stickered for over $19K.

But anyway, my point has been made. Boss resales are heading down, and even if you don't plan on selling, you need to consider what is going to happen if some texting bozo rear ends you going 50 MPH.

Just happened to a co-worker in his '05 ST . At a red light, never even heard screeching tires...she gets out of her car with her phone still in her hand...

WinterSucks said:
Just happened to a co-worker in his '05 ST . At a red light, never even heard screeching tires...she gets out of her car with her phone still in her hand...

It is an epidemic. I commute to work on a two lane road, as in one lane in each direction, 55 MPH speed limit but everyone does 65 MPH. I can't tell you how many times the past few years I have been forced onto the shoulder by oncoming cars drifting into my lane. I started watching drivers going the other way, and at least 1 in 20 are driving on this dangerous road while holding their cell phone in front of them. There are tons of skid marks once you get within 1/2 mile of the intersections, because occasionally the traffic backs up, but not every day. People simply don't pay attention.

MA
1993 Cobras are the exception, not the rule. as much as I loved my 1993 cobra, I think it's a stretch to assume the Boss is going to follow that same path. The 93s had a lot of uniqueness. First SVT Cobra, Last fox body, one model year only, and arguably the best styling with the bumper covers, spoiler, lamps, etc. Why does the 1995 cobra not do the same? or the 1996? or a 1993R values compared to 1995R? Truth is, its virtually impossible to predict. The boss was not the top dog (like the 93 cobra was). Think about it with later mustangs. 03/04 Mach 1 vs 03/04 Cobra....cobra's hold their own, but mach 1 prices? not sure. As others have said, drive it and enjoy it, and only worry about resale if you are selling.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The bottom line is why you bought your car in the first place. I bought my Boss to savor/enjoy the driving experience for all it's worth while I can. To others who keep their cars tucked away in a garage, afraid to drive it.....I hope you get your money's worth some day.....I'm already getting mine!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
+1 !!!

Anyone buying a new car as an investment needs to reevaluate their strategy.

I invested for the fun factor and I am seeing a great return in the target category.

Do I need a GT-350 to set better times and go faster......Could Work.

What I need is seat time and instruction in the car I have.

Half of the enjoyment I get from the Boss is working on the car.

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
TMSBOSS said:
+1 !!!

Anyone buying a new car as an investment needs to reevaluate their strategy.

I invested for the fun factor and I am seeing a great return in the target category.

Do I need a GT-350 to set better times and go faster......Could Work.

What I need is seat time and instruction in the car I have.

It's the same in every "hobby"- I've seen people with $2000 handguns who couldn't hit the side of a barn, the guy with a couple grand in golf clubs who can't break 100, all would be better investing in lessons. But in the end what we do with our money is our business, right?

Half of the enjoyment I get from the Boss is working on the car.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Agree completely with Fomoco302. Getting grease under my nails, cussing while busting a knuckle or two and getting intimate with these machines of pure American muscle is good for the mind and soul. No so much with the wallet but what the heck...

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
"Half of the enjoyment I get from the Boss is working on the car. "

That line is attributable to TMSBOSS. I believe in keeping people employed so let them do the work! ;D

As a new owner, this slight downturn has allowed me to own one of these wonderful machines. For me it's THE Mustang that I missed out on the first time around in '69 and '70 while a poor college student. I am in love with every aspect of this car and it's history and the development process that went into bringing it back, right down to it's solid rear axle. I found my Race Red 2013 with1,300 miles on it, Recaros and Torsen, TracKey already loaded,mats,cover, and factory LS wheels for just under $39K. With only a limited number of these cars, I'm confident there is a buyer like me ready to snatch up and treasure every Boss that goes up for sale, keeping resale value safe.

TMO Supporting Vendors