The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss transmission replacement? Direct bolt in upgrade?

Is there a direct bolt in no rigging transmission for the Boss? Where to buy it? If my dealer does not get my transmission right I am considering just gutting this JUNK transmission and clutch.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
there sure is.
http://store.jpcracing.com/TREMEC-MAGNUM-XL-S197-CONVERSION-COMPLETE-KIT-also-Includes-DriveshaftClutch-Flywheel-options_p_1968.html

If I go Forced induction this would be the first thing I buy before I went with much more power than stock.

two ratio sets available.
 
175
0
I've helped install two of these. A few minor teething problems but the feel of shifter alone is worth the change. If your car is NA you might miss the gear ratios of your stock tranny. You might have to put in a 4.11 to get the ratios back to what you're used to but that isn't needed with a SC engine.
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,545
2,376
Arizona, USA
908ssp said:
I've helped install two of these. A few minor teething problems but the feel of shifter alone is worth the change. If your car is NA you might miss the gear ratios of your stock tranny. You might have to put in a 4.11 to get the ratios back to what you're used to but that isn't needed with a SC engine.

4.10 or even 4.30...

Other option is to find a wrecked GT500 and get the trans/driveshaft from it.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
jeepinocala said:
Sounds like alot to go through, right now I just want a bolt in no other changes transmssion.
if you go with the .62 version it's not that bad had that ratio set in my 96 cobra worked great. A gear swap is easy as well. But you were planning to go with a super charger right? Then the .50 Trans and stock gears would work out great
 
175
0
I put the 6060 with the 2010 ratios in my SC car I like them a lot. The close ratios of the Boss can't quite be duplicated with an overdrive 5th.

Numbers based on 3.55 rear end and 26” tall tire:


[email protected] MPH/Gear RPM @80mph

TR-3650 OEM gear ratio
1st 3.38 42mph
2nd 2.0 71mph 29mph
3rd 1.32 107mph 36mph
4th 1.0 142mph 35mph
5th 0.675 210mph 2475rpm

TR6060 (stock GT500 2007-2009)
1st 2.97 48mph
2nd 1.78 80mph 32mph
3rd 1.30 109mph 29mph
4th 1.00 142mph 33mph
5th .80 177mph
6th .63 224mph 2250rpm

TR6060 (stock GT500 2010-2012)
1st 2.97 48mph
2nd 1.78 80mph 32mph
3rd 1.30 109mph 29mph
4th 1.00 142mph 33mph
5th .74 191mph
6th .50 283mph 1875rpm

MT-82
1st 3.66 39mph
2nd 2.43 58mph 32mph
3rd 1.69 84mph 29mph
4th 1.32 107mph 33mph
5th 1.00 142mph 35mph
6th .65 218mph 2375rpm

T-56 Close Ratio Gear Set
1st 2.66 53mph
2nd 1.78 80mph 27mph
3rd 1.30 109mph 29mph
4th 1.00 142mph 33mph
5th .74 191mph
6th .50 283mph 1875rpm

T-56 Drag Race Gear Set
1st 2.97 48mph
2nd 2.07 68mph 20mph
3rd 1.43 99mph 31mph
4th 1.00 142mph 43mph
5th .80 177mph
6th .63 224mph 2250rpm
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
908ssp said:
I put the 6060 with the 2010 ratios in my SC car I like them a lot. The close ratios of the Boss can't quite be duplicated with an overdrive 5th.

Numbers based on 3.55 rear end and 26” tall tire:


[email protected] MPH/Gear RPM @80mph

TR-3650 OEM gear ratio
1st 3.38 42mph
2nd 2.0 71mph 29mph
3rd 1.32 107mph 36mph
4th 1.0 142mph 35mph
5th 0.675 210mph 2475rpm

TR6060 (stock GT500 2007-2009)
1st 2.97 48mph
2nd 1.78 80mph 32mph
3rd 1.30 109mph 29mph
4th 1.00 142mph 33mph
5th .80 177mph
6th .63 224mph 2250rpm

TR6060 (stock GT500 2010-2012)
1st 2.97 48mph
2nd 1.78 80mph 32mph
3rd 1.30 109mph 29mph
4th 1.00 142mph 33mph
5th .74 191mph
6th .50 283mph 1875rpm

MT-82
1st 3.66 39mph
2nd 2.43 58mph 32mph
3rd 1.69 84mph 29mph
4th 1.32 107mph 33mph
5th 1.00 142mph 35mph
6th .65 218mph 2375rpm

T-56 Close Ratio Gear Set
1st 2.66 53mph
2nd 1.78 80mph 27mph
3rd 1.30 109mph 29mph
4th 1.00 142mph 33mph
5th .74 191mph
6th .50 283mph 1875rpm

T-56 Drag Race Gear Set
1st 2.97 48mph
2nd 2.07 68mph 20mph
3rd 1.43 99mph 31mph
4th 1.00 142mph 43mph
5th .80 177mph
6th .63 224mph 2250rpm
so with 3.73's and a shift speed of say....8300 the .63 ratio box would be pretty nice in the boss. I think if I go with a T-56 XL I would run 4.30's out back like I did in the cobra when it was NA.
 

Sesshomurai

908ssp said:
T-56 Close Ratio Gear Set
1st 2.66 53mph
2nd 1.78 80mph 27mph
3rd 1.30 109mph 29mph
4th 1.00 142mph 33mph
5th .74 191mph
6th .50 283mph 1875rpm

T-56 Drag Race Gear Set
1st 2.97 48mph
2nd 2.07 68mph 20mph
3rd 1.43 99mph 31mph
4th 1.00 142mph 43mph
5th .80 177mph
6th .63 224mph 2250rpm

For the T56, is the close gear ratio set better for track use? I think that's the trans direction I'm headed.
 
I have decided before I make any changes I am going to make sure my transmission is either fixed or replaced. They have it now and I should know something tomorrow?
 
Did a bunch of research on this because I plan to supercharge and know I will vaporise the transmission. The Tremec T56 magnum with 4.56 gears in the rear end is a very close gearing combo to the Mt 82.

Tremec also has a handy little transmission gear ratio, RPM, speed calculator that will allow you to find speed in gears at different RPM with different tire sizes and such.
 
NewBossowner said:
Did a bunch of research on this because I plan to supercharge and know I will vaporise the transmission. The Tremec T56 magnum with 4.56 gears in the rear end is a very close gearing combo to the Mt 82.

Tremec also has a handy little transmission gear ratio, RPM, speed calculator that will allow you to find speed in gears at different RPM with different tire sizes and such.

I do not think the transmission cant handle the power I believe it shifts like crap.
 
175
0
NewBossowner said:
Did a bunch of research on this because I plan to supercharge and know I will vaporise the transmission. The Tremec T56 magnum with 4.56 gears in the rear end is a very close gearing combo to the Mt 82.

Tremec also has a handy little transmission gear ratio, RPM, speed calculator that will allow you to find speed in gears at different RPM with different tire sizes and such.

If you're going to SC you'll have so much more torque than the boss a rear gear isn't necessary. Maybe if you're strictly drag racing but not for any normal driving. You can't get enough rear tire to get traction so the higher gear doesn't hurt. Also you'll end up lowering your max rpm once your SC if you want your motor to stay together. Both of the cars I installed the T56 in make about 650rwhp one has the close ratio and the other the drag ratios. Both of the transmissions are holding up fine the tires well they just spin most of the time. ;D
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
jeepinocala said:
NewBossowner said:
Did a bunch of research on this because I plan to supercharge and know I will vaporise the transmission. The Tremec T56 magnum with 4.56 gears in the rear end is a very close gearing combo to the Mt 82.

Tremec also has a handy little transmission gear ratio, RPM, speed calculator that will allow you to find speed in gears at different RPM with different tire sizes and such.

I do not think the transmission cant handle the power I believe it shifts like crap.

I'd appreciate that any strong negatives be kept out of these threads. Not everyone has the same issues as others and the Forum is not meant to be a place to vent our frustrations. Save that for communications with your dealer or FRPP if you deem it necessary. Postings here are meant to be informative and to help us all celebrate a great car - and there's some great info on ratio's here as well as tranny options for those that choose to switch. Thanks guys.
 
If you're going to SC you'll have so much more torque than the boss a rear gear isn't necessary. Maybe if you're strictly drag racing but not for any normal driving. You can't get enough rear tire to get traction so the higher gear doesn't hurt. Also you'll end up lowering your max rpm once your SC if you want your motor to stay together. Both of the cars I installed the T56 in make about 650rwhp one has the close ratio and the other the drag ratios. Both of the transmissions are holding up fine the tires well they just spin most of the time. ;D
[/quote]

I will be using it to ambush 1,000 HP Vipers and GT40's so all the gear I can get will help. Traction wont be the issue.
 
I'd appreciate that any strong negatives be kept out of these threads. Not everyone has the same issues as others and the Forum is not meant to be a place to vent our frustrations. Save that for communications with your dealer or FRPP if you deem it necessary. Postings here are meant to be informative and to help us all celebrate a great car - and there's some great info on ratio's here as well as tranny options for those that choose to switch. Thanks guys.
[/quote]

Ford built an amazing car for the money they are asking. It has a few areas that need a little fine tuning. As a whole, the car is far better than even I expected.
Aftermarket shifter ( MGW ) fixes gear selection. Upper and lower control arms to eliminate wheel hope and it's a killer. When you buy a car like this you must realise some portion of it will need tweeking because it is still bound by rules and regulations we have no control over. Such as ride comfort for the street.

Over all the car runs far harder than it should for what it is and the other members of the big 3 should take notes. Look at the torque curve on that tiny little motor and tell me how that makes any sense at all for a naturally aspirated motor that small.

I am tremendously happy with my Boss and feel sorry for anyone that is having a bad experience with thiers. I have 4600K on mine and it still puts a HUGE smile on my face every time I get in it. ;D

Truth be told I wanted a challenger, glad I got this instead.
 
175
0
NewBossowner said:
I will be using it to ambush 1,000 HP Vipers and GT40's so all the gear I can get will help. Traction wont be the issue.

No offense but it sounds to me like you don't have much experience with high torque and HP cars. My buddies 07 has 650rwhp and you have to drive it like you're on ice all the time. One rash move and tires go up in smoke and he's running R compound 295 Nittos. He's running the close ratio T56 with a 3.55 rear gear. He also owns a 2012 Brembo car and there is no comparison the 5.0 motor needs the MT82 the SC motor doesn't and would be a complete waste. The time you spend shifting he would long gone.
 
908ssp said:
NewBossowner said:
I will be using it to ambush 1,000 HP Vipers and GT40's so all the gear I can get will help. Traction wont be the issue.

No offense but it sounds to me like you don't have much experience with high torque and HP cars. My buddies 07 has 650rwhp and you have to drive it like you're on ice all the time. One rash move and tires go up in smoke and he's running R compound 295 Nittos. He's running the close ratio T56 with a 3.55 rear gear. He also owns a 2012 Brembo car and there is no comparison the 5.0 motor needs the MT82 the SC motor doesn't and would be a complete waste. The time you spend shifting he would long gone.

Been drag racing since I was a kid. Likely before most of you were born. No offence taken. I have had several 600 plus HP cars and 1 well over 800, I know the issues involved.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top