The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bossimus Prime is Born

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm a child of the 80's and was lucky as a kid to grow up watching some of the greatest cartoons including my fav, Transformers. What's not to like, cars and robots are cool, but cars that turn into robots...holy jeezus. Still remember my first Transformer, Sideswipe...the red Lamborghini Countach. I was on the hunt for my first Gobot with my father, every store in Colorado was sold out. The toy store just got these Transformers in. Said they were a Gobot knockoff. Cartoon hadn't even been released yet. Two weeks later, Gobots were in the clearance bin and every Transformer was sold out.

I still love Transformers and some of the new movies aren't too bad. Still haven't seen the latest, scared too. I like to tastefully mod some of my cars over the years with an Autobot theme. A badge, graphic, patch here and there. But tastefully. Nothing cheesy, no cheap chrome, no logo that is a rip off that is out of scale, never in a place that wouldn't make sense to a real Transformer if they existed (that's the little geek that is still a part of me I guess).

I toyed with the idea on the Boss, but didn't want cheesy. So I first added the subtle plate frame, autobot logo with a reference to Spaceballs, another 80s classic.

ebaru8u2.jpg

I always like to make my car my own visually. The purists may disagree, but even though our cars are rare, I still like my own uniqueness. Matte black vinyl roof, Laguna Seca Spoiler, T-Springs, Open Roush Lower Grille, and GT500 style CDC Upper grille. I liked the CDC grille but I missed the Tri Bar Pony Emblem. I ruined an extra emblem I had attempting to make a floating grille emblem. When I went to buy a new one, I thought why not a tasteful high quality Autobot emblem instead. After some trial and error, some 3M VHB tape from work and an aluminum emblem, it came out nice. Everyone loves it at the car shows, especially the kids.

y9u3ehym.jpg

Well that's not enough to warrant a post. I wanted something to bring the story of the Autobots to my Boss for fun and for car shows. I have a cool Binaltech Wheeljack Mustang transformer that came to mind. It based on the S197 platform, but I thought I could mod it. It's painted like a Shelby and the stripes are painted, so it would be a pain to mod. Plus it's from Japan and pricey.

epa6y3e5.jpg

Then I remembered in the US the came out with an Alternators Series with a Grimlock Silver 2009 Mustang. No stripes, all plastic, not metal like the Wheeljack so a lot cheaper. Picked one up on ebay.

ryheruqa.jpg

sa8eryse.jpg

The modification began. Some grabber blue paint, matte black here and there, and thanks to the new Revell 2013 Boss 302 model kit, I now had the stripes. The kits scale is pretty close. If had the time, I could maybe modify the hood and front bumper from the model kit so the a Transformer could look more like a 2013. Maybe I'll buy another and try it later.

upyqygaq.jpg

hy3yvy6a.jpg

3yru3uqy.jpg

And here it is in robot form.

qujytuga.jpg

y3uqevy6.jpg

e5enyge2.jpg

And for some fun details. I modified his engine that turns into a blaster with the intake from the model kit. And he has a sword that is now a Track Key sword. I couldn't resist.

tubu8ura.jpg

2a6uzeqa.jpg

Well that was a lot of fun. Bossimus Prime has life. But still not post worthy. Well not enough so that I don't get made fun of. After all, all I have is the grille emblem. Until today. I recently upgraded my stereo. Hated the stock unit, missed my satellite which my salesperson told me the Boss had. Grrrr. So I went all out on the stereo, even though all my previous custom stereo attempts never lived up to my expectations.

I upgraded to the Maestro dash kit, their RR module to keep the sync, Kenwood's latest DNN991HD because I wanted the iPad'esque capacitive touchscreen, Focal's new award winning Flaxseed cone front components, Memphis Coax in the rear, and two Memphis 10" space saver woofers and Memphis 5-channel amp, and sound deadening the entire doors, floors and rear deck. Cool setup that I love but there have already been some posts on similar upgrades. And since I didn't do the install, not too post worthy. Although the Focal Flax Cone setup are a sound lovers dream.

The install was done by Infinity Conversions in Round Rock, TX outside of Austin. Much props to their lead installer Scott Williams. He was one of the only reasons why I pulled the trigger on this upgrade as he came highly recommended by a large following in an Austin car club. Seeing his work first hand, along with some competition cars he was working on with his friends evaporated my fears.

He made a custom compact box that is perfect for the compact 10" subs that sits just behind the seats and still keeps 90% of the trunk space. Made easy by crazy CNC machine he has in his shop at home. Thus allows him to do some crazy cool custom designs. We bartered some services on my end and he agreed to upgrade my custom speaker box with my own design when I was ready. He just finished it today and I couldn't be more excited. I came up with the basic design and font with the Mustang Pony logo. He modified the logo to get more detail out of the pony outline and CNC'd some plexi and edge lit the glass with some blue LEDs.

ne9e5yvu.jpg

7yte7yry.jpg

9yru5uhy.jpg

I think it came out great!!! Now Bossimus prime is truly born!

I love it and can't wait to show it this Friday at a 4th of July car show. I also added some Running Tri Bar pony Gobo lights in the doors, similar to the 5.0 mirror pony puddle light option. Unfortunately I didn't have time to take those photos but I will add them to this post soon. I will probably get a custom gobo made suited to my Autobot theme.

I also have one more mod that I was hoping to have done by today but the parts we needed were out of stock. Hopefully in a couple of weeks or so, I will get that done. It'll be a surprise if it works.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share. It may still be corny to some but I think it's tasteful and even my wife loves it. She calls me Bottimus Prime because my engineering brain and how detailed I approach everything in life. She's the coolest wife ever to let me do this. Some of you may recall from an earlier post I made this year, it was her idea to elope to NYC and go to the Super Bowl for our honeymoon. I am truly blessed. Love ya babe!

At first I was a little thrown off by the Spaceballs mixed with Transformers but that's pretty cool, especially the grill badge.

cbj5259 said:
Wow...looks like a lot of time and effort was put in...turned out nice. Good work!

It took some time to mod the transformer, a bit longer than I thought but it was a fun project.

Brandon302 said:
At first I was a little thrown off by the Spaceballs mixed with Transformers but that's pretty cool, especially the grill badge.

Lol. It was either that or a Lord of the Rings reference. "Thou Shall Not Pass" but I feel that was too obscure. I'm having a new plate frame made that will be Boss and Transformer specific. I've gotten pulled over with a warning for my plate frame blocking the TEXAS name. Flashed me in a parking lot of all places.

Darth Boss said:
Lol. It was either that or a Lord of the Rings reference. "Thou Shall Not Pass" but I feel that was too obscure. I'm having a new plate frame made that will be Boss and Transformer specific. I've gotten pulled over with a warning for my plate frame blocking the TEXAS name. Flashed me in a parking lot of all places.

Because the lone star and the Texas outline isn't a dead give away?

Thats real cool. Finaly another "themed" BOSS. Mine is themed after Jason Voorhees and Friday the 13th, and have spent hours coming up with ways to show it off tastefuly. Not many people "get it". Love to see different kinds of peoples passion for their cars. I'm also a child of the 80's so maybe its our generation. lol

Fat Boss said:
Copycatimus Prime!!! In all seriousness, that's freakin' awesome what you have done. Love it. :D

ebaru8u2.jpg

DSC02311.jpg

Yeah...I figured it wasn't patented. Lol! Great minds think a like.

Brandon302 said:
Because the lone star and the Texas outline isn't a dead give away?

Yeah, I know. Plus it would take 2 secs to run my plate. So picky about their plate laws in Texas.

Jason said:
Thats real cool. Finaly another "themed" BOSS. Mine is themed after Jason Voorhees and Friday the 13th, and have spent hours coming up with ways to show it off tastefuly. Not many people "get it". Love to see different kinds of peoples passion for their cars. I'm also a child of the 80's so maybe its our generation. lol

Unique...I like it. You need the music played on the outside of they car when you stop. People will be like what the ?!?!

Wait! What? In the movies, it seemed that only General Motors products were autobots! Sort of made me pull for the bad guys! To punish and enslave...

CEO_five-0 said:
Wait! What? In the movies, it seemed that only General Motors products were autobots! Sort of made me pull for the bad guys! To punish and enslave...
This guy was in the first movie.

Transformers%20%27Barricade%27%20001.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors