The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BQuick Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
BQuick, you BSmart, that MGW short throw shift kit is the best thing around to keep that MT-82 working at its best. You have the highly touted 18x11 Apex wheels, so wondering if you are going to some bigger meats when the Bridgerocks wear out?
Damn good tire and I know folks are hoping they have a bigger 18 inch in the works.

BQuick, you BSmart, that MGW short throw shift kit is the best thing around to keep that MT-82 working at its best. You have the highly touted 18x11 Apex wheels, so wondering if you are going to some bigger meats when the Bridgerocks wear out?
Damn good tire and I know folks are hoping they have a bigger 18 inch in the works.
Thanks Bill, this is a reclamation project of sorts. I purchased it from a dealer who got it on a trade. It showed little evidence of any normal maintenance and did not enjoy a pampered life (it was filthy and some of the mods were, well not useful?). However it is low mileage, no DTC’s, no leaks and the transmission shifted as it should with the OE shifter. Now 3 months into reclamation, we are ready for the first track Test and tune. I went with 19x11 Apex rather than 18’s as my thought was overall diameter/sidewall was better achieved vs 18”. I had 18” Apex on the Boss so there was some personal experience in my choice. The “skinny” 285’s are a place to start until I got to the strut vs coilover decision. It does not have camber plates yet so 305’s would have been very poked out plus not too useful without some negative camber.

I have a re-build low miles ben calmer MT82, the MGW shifter, nice light aluminum flywheel and sweet tasting spec. clutch and i must be honest. the old trans although it got loud and whined and would growl in neutral with clutch out, it shifted a ton smoother than my current MGW / calmer trans does. i know these are all solid components so i've been perplexed. i have the steeda stiff motor mounts too - but for some reason the trans swap (although it quieted everything down nicely) is not happy to shift under power especially the 2nd to 3rd. i almost blew my car up racing hard and missing the gear not realizing it due to noise of other cars i was sitting at 8000rmp bouncing of the limiter.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel