The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brembo Caliper Rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I will be doing some suspension work this week and Brembo calipers will be coming off (Boss). I am fairly certain they will need a rebuild. Question is which option on dust seals and why:
1) OE replacement,
2) High Temp dust seals (ref OP Mustang option)
3) No dust shield.

I drive the car easily to C&C, etc (2-3000/year) and it sees 5-6 track day events/year.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I would go with the upgraded seals. I bought a set from OP Mustang too.

+1 on the Titanium shims.

Has anyone upgraded to stainless steel pistons?

Thx Coz for the link. We learn all kinds of how-to stuff in the world of YouTube, I still can’t repair dry wall however.

I would go with the upgraded seals. I bought a set from OP Mustang too.

+1 on the Titanium shims.

Has anyone upgraded to stainless steel pistons?

I did a full Brembo rebuild with SS pistons, high-temp dust seals, in addition to poly coated SS brake lines, 2-piece Girodisc rotors, G-Loc GS-1 (Street)/G-Loc R-12 (Track). Made a pretty big difference doing a full overhaul, but lots of factors probably contributed. Made for a fun summer project.

I did a full Brembo rebuild with SS pistons, high-temp dust seals, in addition to poly coated SS brake lines, 2-piece Girodisc rotors, G-Loc GS-1 (Street)/G-Loc R-12 (Track). Made a pretty big difference doing a full overhaul, but lots of factors probably contributed. Made for a fun summer project.
Thx, I will order the high temp seal package from OP and give it a go. The rebuild process seems straightforward. It will be an iterative sequence, rebuild, rotor heat paint track days, then fine tune track pads to observed heat. I have R10’s on all four now on 1-pc blanks. R10’s are really annoying for dust and noise on street.

Coz,
Where did you find the SS pistons? I've been looking and can't seem to nail down a place for them. My local Ford dealer says I need to order the entire caliper from them.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Coz,
Where did you find the SS pistons? I've been looking and can't seem to nail down a place for them. My local Ford dealer says I need to order the entire caliper from them.

At Racing Brake:
For 4-pot Brembo: https://racingbrake.com/caliper-rebuild/purchase-components/oem-calipers/ford/bf-41bsp
For 6-pot 13-14 GT500 Brembo: https://racingbrake.com/caliper-rebuild/purchase-components/oem-calipers/ford/bf-61bsp

For all Fords:https://racingbrake.com/ford-4/

I thought you could buy the pistons separately (40x30 & 44x30) but their piston page seems like its missing a second page because the sizes don't go high enough

I hope this helps

Chris

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
What's the rule of thumb on rebuilding calipers? I noticed all 4 calipers on my GT have cracked dust seals so I ordered a set of high temp seals from OP to have on hand. I've got 9 HPDE events on my car. I don't drive the car in the rain and I don't really accumulate many street miles anymore. Not really in a hurry to tear into this for no reason if they should last another 9 events or more.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
What's the rule of thumb on rebuilding calipers? I noticed all 4 calipers on my GT have cracked dust seals so I ordered a set of high temp seals from OP to have on hand. I've got 9 HPDE events on my car. I don't drive the car in the rain and I don't really accumulate many street miles anymore. Not really in a hurry to tear into this for no reason if they should last another 9 events or more.

That seems like a short life, I have around 30 events on mine and there is no sign of issues with the fronts, I had some issues with the rears after about 15 events but put in the OP Mustang rear calipers with the high temp seals and no problems since.
Do you have the 6 piston Brembos? Do you have cooling up there?
Depends on the tracks you run as well, my main track is Mosport and it's not hard on brakes at all.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
That seems like a short life, I have around 30 events on mine and there is no sign of issues with the fronts, I had some issues with the rears after about 15 events but put in the OP Mustang rear calipers with the high temp seals and no problems since.
Do you have the 6 piston Brembos? Do you have cooling up there?
Depends on the tracks you run as well, my main track is Mosport and it's not hard on brakes at all.
Yeah my GT is a PP so I’ve got the Brembos and Steeda 2 piece rotors up front. Running the Vorshlag deflectors for the last 3 events and Raybestos ST45 pads up front and ST44 in the rear for the last 4 events. I ordered some Ti shims for the front pads that I’ll put in before next time.

My main track is Arizona Motorsports Park which seems hard on brakes. Not many sweeping turns.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I am going to guess you will see a reduction in wear and possibly an end to the seal issues now with the deflectors in there? I've had cooling on my brakes since Day 1, first with the (mostly crushed) hoses and last year with the Vorshlag deflectors which seem to work as well, probably better, than the hoses.

I do run a couple of other wiggly tracks a couple time a year that are harder on brakes but have had no brake issues with racing pads. I just use OEM Ford rotors or higher quality aftermarket rotors, always blanks. Not convinced the slots do much good and can't justify the cost of 2 piece rotors for doing just track days. Some folks think the slots might even increase pad wear? But again I've never used them.

I wonder if the Raybestos pads are really aggressive and are building more heat than a different pad might? But that's just a wild assed guess. I wanted to try the Raybestos but very hard to find in Canada and horrifically expensive to import.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
Pad wear with the Raybestos ST45/43 on Steeda rotors is much better than the stock pads on stock rotors. After 4 events I have essentially no wear. But I attribute that entirely to the pads. The Steeda rotors were actually an experiment to extend rear wheel bearing life that ended poorly for the rear Steeda rotors (and my wallet). I think the conclusion is that I had two bad bearings in a row as this latest bearing has been on for the last 5-6 events. I've thought about pulling off the Steeda front rotors and selling them to recoup some cost before they get too worn.

I can tell there is a lot of airflow coming through the front wheels from inside to out based on the dust patterns on the inner barrel of the wheels. Hopefully most/some of that is being routed through the rotors. Never saw that prior to the deflectors, but maybe I just didn't notice.

TMO Supporting Vendors