The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bring back the Mustang II?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
That article talks about gas prices in Vancouver, last night I saw $1.66 a litre on the news. Well, they kind of own that problem themselves out there. The left coasters are resisting mightily the construction of a new oil pipeline from Alberta to Vancouver, so perhaps this will get their heads straight on that. I expect it's great to be a greenie until it bleeds green out of your wallet, then some good old fashioned pragmatism might set in...

To Me the Mustang II was the only dip in the Mustang Heritage I can recall. It catered to the fuel crisis we were having at the tyme..rightfully so or not. There were some hot rod Mustang II's out there but they were few and far between. Thank the Heavens for the progress over the years for our Mustangs we have today!

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Its easy to look back in time and make fun of stuff, cars, clothes, style, etc. But Ford sold a lot of Mustang II's. You could argue that if the Mustang II would have been a sales failure, the Mustang may have disappeared all together.

Plus even though they were pretty weak stock, there were many fast Mustang II race cars back then. I ran 1:35's (give or take, I don't remember my exact best lap times) in this car at Mid-Ohio with the keyhole back in the late 80's. That would put it at or near the top of this forums lap time thread.

gt1.jpg

MID OHIO (W/CHICANE)
Shonuff82--2012 TT3 Mustang/Pirelli DH--1:36.1
Black Boss--GT350R/stock/R7s--1:38.03
Competition Orange--15 gtpp BMR handling springs, Glock pads and pirelli dh slicks--1:38.99
smallblock--11 GT/suspension/GLOC pads/305/680/18 Pirelli DH--1:40.32
Black Boss--GT350R Stock on Full Street tires (PSS)--1:41.34

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I remember the Mustang II well. I worked at a Ford store after school 78-79. What I remover was disappointing. Basically, stickers don’t go fast.
A sad time for the industry. The good news? The slow recovery has lead up to what we have today.
The focus ST outperforms the Mustang II. My F-250 crew cab gets better mileage than most cars built in 79.
Bring back the Mustang II? What you smoking LOL

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
He lives in California so what do you think he was smoking? He is VoodooBoss , so mom course the answer to that is............................tires! Get your mind right ,ha.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
That article talks about gas prices in Vancouver, last night I saw $1.66 a litre on the news.

Correct? Sort of.

Gas world wide costs about $2.00 a gallon. Usually less. The additional expense is profit, the cost of transportation and or taxation. I remember working with NATO officers in Africa. They we’re interested in US made cars, costs options etc. I was asked what surcharge was put on an automatic trans, by a Swedish officer. I answered none and asked what we was talking about. Apparently he had to pay thousands to his government for the trans. His wife could not drive a standard. He was paying $8.00 a gallon 10 years ago.

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Come on Bill!
You had a Friend?
A Cruising Wagon, maybe? Now there is an exciting car from the same era.
For those reading this that do Not know what a cruising wagon is. Dont waste your time googling. You’ll only hate me more.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Actually, at the time I had a 1963 VW Camper Van ( bed, refrigerator, and 9 speakers hooked up to my 8 track) and I was quite the man on Campus. Now just visualize a good looking guy , with hair, cruising around school with Led Zeppelin hammering out of his 8 track - friends, no problem then, ha,ha!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel