The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

CA to start checking for ECU tunes at smog checks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
if one is for the street and one for track, why not? Meeting all the regs. Both of my Mustangs are still rocking stock exhaust and stock tunes. If I want to cross the line to a dedicated track car then I’ll tune.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
So, the new way around is two separate ECUs?
Is it that easy? Would be great but I'm not sure. I'm guessing that a second ECU will need to be calibrated for the vehicle & VIN, probably for PATS too to even start it. I don't know what happens once one starts putting mileage on 2 different ECUs when both will be in disagreement with the odometer in dash, maybe this is detectable too? Maybe tough to document miles upon sale? Warranty? I'm highly ignorant of these tech aspects but I gotta believe with all this complexity we can't simply just swap to outsmart it.

Somebody please show me that I'm wrong and ECU moves to the top of my list ;)

So if you flash a tune for the track and then flash it back to stock after the event, you cannot pass SMOG anymore even after going through the procedure to put senors back into ready status?

CA rules have nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with uiltimately banning all modifications and bringing in some cash from CARB certs.
With tune, emissions are reduced, need to increase emissions to pass SMOG. Chalk up a win for the environment!

I had a local car thief do mine, srsly, the guy that tuned my 99 originally did time in the clink for grand theft auto. He was a master at moving the ECUs around, faking the signatures and what not. I had an ECU melt down (thanks Kenne Bell) and he got it up and running on another ECU in about 15 minutes.
So glad I don't live in the People's Republik of Kalifornia.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
So if you flash a tune for the track and then flash it back to stock after the event, you cannot pass SMOG anymore even after going through the procedure to put senors back into ready status?
BAR Advisory Group Meeting, July 15 2021

The entire recording is a bit over 3 hours. It can be heard here in it's entirety but this will link to a relevant question about 59 minutes into it:

Sounds like BAR is very tight lipped about this, giving only a textbook answer.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
From Fabman's link:
"initial implementation of failures based on software modification will be directed toward blatant tuning modifications that are likely to have a negative impact on emissions, thus less obtrusive modifications may enjoy a grace period."

"non-tuning ECU modifications, such as aftermarket wheel and tire calibrations, would not result in failed inspections."

Sounds like you may be able to pass with a retuned ECU, but only if the tune does NOT change anything emmisions-related, like MAF, timing, fuel injectors, VVT, etc. Basically, most things people are getting aftermarket tunes for. And even if they don't flag you now, they may in the future.

Keep in mind these people are bureaucrats, prolly not car people, and are just collecting a pay check.
They can be out fixed, probably fairly easily.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel