The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Car guys strike back in Virginia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BREAKING NEWS
Virginia Becomes First to Revoke California's Emissions Standards, EV Mandates

Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin announced last week that the Commonwealth would not adopt California’s 2035 ban on selling new gas- and diesel-powered motor vehicles. Virginia lawmakers passed a law in 2021 under Youngkin’s predecessor, tying the state to California's emissions standards, which includes California’s 100% EV mandate by 2035. Since then, SAN-supported bills aiming to repeal the law have narrowly failed to pass the Democratically controlled legislature. Elected in 2021, Youngkin campaigned on repealing California’s standards and pledged to follow through during his 2023 State of the Commonwealth address.

Your continued advocacy plays a crucial role in achieving these legislative victories, thus ensuring freedom of vehicle choice and innovation in the automotive community.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
What I don’t understand is why would or should any state in the United States feel the need to follow or do anything like the completely failed state of CALIFORNIA? Newsom is a complete idiot. All of his/their policies are complete failures.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
So what I want to know is where is all the electric juice going to come from to charge all these battery cars? Up here they're slowly winding down our nukes (the oldest ones have aged out already and now they have to baby sit them for 100 years or so before they can decommission them ) and are using using smallish natural gas powered generators in cities to pick up the peak hours load. So how is that useful? You're burning gas in a generator to make electricity to charge a car or burning gas in the car. Shell game.
They've run out of viable sites for wind power, and the solar panels they put in years ago are now way low in efficiency.
There's no free lunch.
I always chuckle when I see the Teslas lined up waiting for the 2 or 3 chargers at the multi lane highway rest stops. And god only knows where they charge when they're out in the boonies and there are no chargers.
I think I might buy a hybrid pickup when I replace my F150, but that's about as far as I want to dip my toe into the electric pool right now.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
What I don’t understand is why would or should any state in the United States feel the need to follow or do anything like the completely failed state of CALIFORNIA?
Federal highway funding tied to the Clean Air Act, IIRC. Each state has its air checked for pollution, and if it's over some federally-set number, the state can lose federal highway funds if they don't implement a plan to reduce the pollution. Most states hit the easy button and said, "We'll do what CARB is doing." And with a large percentage of states following CARB vehicle emissions standards instead of federal regs, auto makers often decided it was easier to build their cars to the CARB rules and be able to sell them in all 50 states, rather than building (and testing and certifying) two different emissions designs for each model/engine option/trans option/etc.

Worst thing was, all of us New England states had bad pollution numbers because the upper-atmosphere particulates from the Mid-West coal-fired power plants were dropping out over us.

TMO Supporting Vendors