The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Chewing thru my brake ducts. How are you avoiding it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello,

I'm running a fairly modest square wheel/tire setup on my car and ever since installing a set of brake ducts they appear to be wearing away a bit quicker then I expected. I get a small rub at full crank of the wheel and the duct work itself is pretty snuggly routed. At least that seemed to be the case. But apparently not snuggly routed enough as can be seen in the attached pics.

The particular kit uses 3" Ducting if I remember correctly. Got it from Vorshlag.

The Wheel/Tire combo is:

18x10 Vorshlag/Forgestars with 275x40x18 Potenza RE-11's

Alignment is fairly modest with a -1.7deg Camber

Front Struts are Cortex 315 Offset JRi DA's

Anyone else getting some rubbage with a similar setup? If not, how are you avoiding it? At this rate I expect to need new ones a few times a year. Is this expected wear or am I the unlucky one?

Thanks for your thoughts.

35904934740_08c83eee3a_h.jpg

36131109452_20f6e7d13d_h.jpg

36131099172_115a436f6a_h.jpg

I used a big hose clamp just bearly snugged on the tube. Than a cable tie the clamp to I think the radiator support. This keeps the tube pushed towards the back of the car and square coming out from behind the wheel.

Thanks for the info folks. I may have to source ducting elsewhere once these burn thru o_O

The length of ducting provided in my kit was fairly short unfortunately. I guess I will just need to get more length next time so I can get creative with the routing.

Thanks again

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
You need to route the hoses below the sway bar not on the side. You should have plenty of room with 275's.

Rick has it right. Zero contact with 18x10 and 275s. Hose should pass the fender liner closer to the bottom. Lots of room even with 305 slicks.

I'm pretty sure the duct is/was long enough to be routed lower, without issue.

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
I'm crawling around in the front of my GT500 prepping for MiniNats and I don't see any cuts or tears in my ducts running 10" HREs and 305 Pirelli slicks. The duct kit I installed is the FR Boss 302 and it has been pretty rugged. They are also running under the sway bar. Is the thickness/Mfgr of the hose in play here?

drano38

Wayne
Agree with under the sway bar as mentioned above.
I wrap any areas that rub with Gorilla duct tape--its seriously tough stuff, but doesn't match the hose since its black.

Thanks again for the additional info and pics folks.

I'll source some more ducting and re-run it. This time I'll get 12 feet just to be sure :D

Get the correct length. If it is too long it will tend to bend over on itself and reduce airflow.

I route mine under the sway bar.
41" is about the correct length.
Duct tape or Gorilla tape work great for repairs.
This duct is a wear item.
It usually lasts me 7-10,000 miles.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel