The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Collectibility

Will Non-LS Boss 302s be collectible?

  • Yes, but only stock and pristine

    Votes: 38 42.7%
  • Yes, lightly modded

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • No, have fun now!

    Votes: 24 27.0%
  • Prices might only reach present MSRP levels in 10+ years

    Votes: 20 22.5%
  • Yes, but only the fastest color, RR :)

    Votes: 2 2.2%

  • Total voters
    89
So, will the Boss 302 prices beat out inflation and age? I am almost regretting buying the Boss when I know I could have spent 6k on a perfect condition Notch or LX and would drive it everyday without caring about devaluation (and could afford tracking every other month). The Boss makes me paranoid because I love it way too much!
 

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
They're going down in price regardless of the condition and mileage. Even an 11 mile 2012 stored car isn't selling listed at $41.5k Wholesale prices are in the mid $30k range.

The best way to address your issue is to get a used 2nd Boss. :p Or at least that's how I'm planning to get around the problem. ;)
 

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
108
0
I'm not going to speculate on the future value, as that's not why I bought the car. It would be a nice bonus if it did well.

I do take the following as news that's good for now: Pricing a used 2012 Boss 302 (street) and a 2012 GT500 (base), you'll find that the GT500 is valued at only $2000-$3000 more than the Boss. Granted, the 2013 GT500 is much hotter and the margin will be more. But not too bad on depreciation, when you consider that the GT500 MSRP was much more than $2000-$3000 over the Boss 302's.

I will say that this is one of the reasons I stretched to get a Boss instead of a Roush Stage 2 that would then be modified closer to a Boss. The Roush cars, aside from the big Stage 3 ones, have a history of only holding the same value as a regular GT. :eek:
 
One reason I was able to convince the wife it was a SMART ::) idea to trade in a paid-off GT for the Boss was resale. I said look, I am going to mod the GT. The list of parts alone is the difference between the GT and Boss in MSRP, so why not just buy the Boss and have the improvements already installed?! But that was not 100% true since I am still buying parts to mod her... I have to keep reminding myself that I don't really need them and just upgrade only when a part needs replacement...
 
VTBoss302 said:
Generally speaking, cars with a good history (especially race) often outperform the others both physically and in value ;) 8) :p 8)

Not sure if that reasoning would work on my wife after getting away with the first excuse I used ::)
 
VTBoss302 said:
Generally speaking, cars with a good history (especially race) often outperform the others both physically and in value ;) 8) :p 8)

only if you go on to be famous lol

I say enjoy the car and try to keep it in the family. maybe your grand-kid's children will see the value go up a bit.
 
As was mentioned it may be 25+ years until these Bosses end up back at or over MSRP...and that is only for low mile garage queens. No way they make MSRP in 10 years. As a comparison, the 2003-2004 SVT Cobras sold for $34k give it take when they were new and they are 10 years old now and even low mile, pristine models are selling for low $20's. I feel like that's a decent comparison since the "terminator" Cobras were only a two year run with low production numbers. Bottom line, if you bought this car as an investment it may be several decades until you get a return if any. Drive it and enjoy it.. Don't worry about collectibility.
 

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
Why worry about resale! All I'm worried about is dependability and track worthiness. So far the Boss has been bulletproof on the street but this "lock out" crap is driving me nuts. I bought this beauty because I could run it without making major changes to have it perform. Much like my Porsche but not the same $$$$$ at risk on the track.

If this shifting/clutch BS is cured, I could care less about future value. I bought the bloody car to drive and track, not as an investment.

Cheers!
 
Boomerstoys said:
Why worry about resale! All I'm worried about is dependability and track worthiness. So far the Boss has been bulletproof on the street but this "lock out" crap is driving me nuts. I bought this beauty because I could run it without making major changes to have it perform. Much like my Porsche but not the same $$$$$ at risk on the track.

If this shifting/clutch BS is cured, I could care less about future value. I bought the bloody car to drive and track, not as an investment.

Cheers!

Trackey and MGW shifter are your friends!
 
cbj5259 said:
Trackey and MGW shifter are your friends!
But they don't solve shifting problems. The cure for shifting issues is an aftermarket clutch.
 
I don't have a new Boss, yet.... But I do have a little experience I can share which may or may not apply to the new ones. I bought my first 1970 Boss 302 in 1971. It stickered for $3700 but since it was used I traded my base 70 302 2 barrel fastback and $2200 to get it. By 1980, nice 70 Boss 302's were bringing $6000 so almost double what they cost new in 10 years. I kept the car 23 years and sold it in 1994 for $21,500.

Obviously if you sell in the first 5-7 years you are going to lose due to depreciation and the fact that it's just a used car but I personally think if you keep it nice you will be okay in the appreciation game. That is if Obama or his successor Hillary don't outlaw gasoline or something along those lines thereby putting an end to Americas love affair with the car as their buddy Jimmy Carter once proclaimed was the answer.

If you daily drive the car and it's trashed and has 150,000 miles on it in 10 years then that will cancel any potential appreciation in my view so keep it nice, in a garage and off the streets as much as possible. Obviously the LS will always be worth more but I don't think the base car is going to be worth significantly less.

I have a bet on appreciation myself but with the GT500 instead. I currently have a 550 HP 2012 Shelby but decided that it was worth eating 10K in depreciation now so I ordered a 2014 GT500 with 662 HP and will be trading the 12 off soon. My belief is the two year run of 662 HP 13-14 Shelbys will be the future Boss 429's in the new Mustang collectibility arena. They will never, in our life times, be worth 300-400K as some B9's are but if I can get my money back in 11 years when I am 70 years old I'll be happy.
 
To your comment about politics coming into the picture here: It will become significantly more difficult for manufacturers to continue using V8s in the next 10 years, IMO. I think that will significantly boost the value of any modern muscle car out there right now. True, engine tech is improving and V8 engine mpg is getting better, but I don't see it keeping up with the overly aggressive economy crippling politicians. They are not interested in the environment or us, just money. Look at Gore. He is a HUGE energy consumer, and set himself up to personally profit from companies having to trade carbon credits that the consumer ultimately pays for...

I would not put it past those cowards to ban new V8 production. So I am betting that any V8 will be collectible soon. Sorry to be a downer, but prove me wrong that no more than 10% of politicians give a crap about anyone else. They are all already trying to get waivers for them and their staff to avoid Obamacare after forcing it on the rest of us. Sorry for the rant... but they just don't care. They are cashing out.
 
As I see it, a lot of folks bought the Boss, framed everything (window sticker, build sheet etc.) to hold and resell. There will be quite a few true low mileage "survivors." Will not be like the old days. But it, drive, and have fun.
 
The collectibility will be through the roof for my Boss. Its not going anywhere and I want to keep it for a very long time. (ergo the high collectibility level)
 
blk12svt said:
I don't have a new Boss, yet.... But I do have a little experience I can share which may or may not apply to the new ones. I bought my first 1970 Boss 302 in 1971. It stickered for $3700 but since it was used I traded my base 70 302 2 barrel fastback and $2200 to get it. By 1980, nice 70 Boss 302's were bringing $6000 so almost double what they cost new in 10 years. I kept the car 23 years and sold it in 1994 for $21,500.

Obviously if you sell in the first 5-7 years you are going to lose due to depreciation and the fact that it's just a used car but I personally think if you keep it nice you will be okay in the appreciation game. That is if Obama or his successor Hillary don't outlaw gasoline or something along those lines thereby putting an end to Americas love affair with the car as their buddy Jimmy Carter once proclaimed was the answer.

If you daily drive the car and it's trashed and has 150,000 miles on it in 10 years then that will cancel any potential appreciation in my view so keep it nice, in a garage and off the streets as much as possible. Obviously the LS will always be worth more but I don't think the base car is going to be worth significantly less.

I have a bet on appreciation myself but with the GT500 instead. I currently have a 550 HP 2012 Shelby but decided that it was worth eating 10K in depreciation now so I ordered a 2014 GT500 with 662 HP and will be trading the 12 off soon. My belief is the two year run of 662 HP 13-14 Shelbys will be the future Boss 429's in the new Mustang collectibility arena. They will never, in our life times, be worth 300-400K as some B9's are but if I can get my money back in 11 years when I am 70 years old I'll be happy.
I'm pulling a grumpy old man with my Boss. My son gets it in my will, with the express intent that he cannot sell the car (He's 23 and already agreed to this caveat).
 

BLAZN BOSS

There are many questions that are like Pandora's Box here:
1. What's the best oil to use?
2. What's the best wax to use?
3. Will these Boss's appreciate in value?
4. How soon should my first oil change be?
5. How often should I change my oil?

I've learned not to even offer my opinion. LOL
 
BLAZN BOSS said:
There are many questions that are like Pandora's Box here:
1. What's the best oil to use?
2. What's the best wax to use?
3. Will these Boss's appreciate in value?
4. How soon should my first oil change be?
5. How often should I change my oil?

I've learned not to even offer my opinion. LOL

At least we don't have the V6 or V8 debate on BMO!
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top