The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Collectibility

Will Non-LS Boss 302s be collectible?

• Yes, but only stock and pristine

Votes: 38 42.7%
  • Yes, lightly modded

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • No, have fun now!

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • Prices might only reach present MSRP levels in 10+ years

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • Yes, but only the fastest color, RR :)

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
kc3333 said:
At least we don't have the V6 or V8 debate on BMO!

But I was just thinking of posting a thread in the racecar section about possibly building a V6 for my dedicated race car project... :-\

BLAZN BOSS said:
There are many questions that are like Pandora's Box here:
1. What's the best oil to use?
2. What's the best wax to use?
3. Will these Boss's appreciate in value?
4. How soon should my first oil change be?
5. How often should I change my oil?

I've learned not to even offer my opinion. LOL

I thought it stays pretty civil and mature here...you know, until somebody disagrees with me ;)

Case in point........Ford only built 300 Cobra Rs and the MSRP is $54,995, included destination and delivery.

They are 13 years old.

They were sold at a premium, and today “wrapper cars” (never dealer prepped) don’t even trade hands at MSRP.

Don’t believe me? Go over to SVT Performance and take a look under the Cobra R section of the forum.

My advice? Track the piss out of the Boss, mod it they way you want, and let someone else 25-30 years worry about it.

A Boss in the hand is worth two in the bush!

BLAZN BOSS

The real answer is "nobody truly knows"..........it doesnt how many trends you look at, what you owned, what you have, who you knew, we just dont know...........all speculation.............we will know in 20 or 30 years.......and my daughter will know cause I 'll probably be gone from here.

Boss_302 said:
My advice? Track the piss out of the Boss, mod it they way you want, and let someone else 25-30 years worry about it.
Quote of the day. 8)

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
WinterSucks said:
So, will the Boss 302 prices beat out inflation and age?

The reception to the refreshed Mustang, will give you a better idea of whether the 2012-13 Boss is "collectable".

I think the 2012-13 Boss will always be a desirable model but at a price less than MSRP.

aarcox2013

New Boss In Town
We are in a different age. When at one time it took only a summer job to afford a muscle car, nowadays it can take a guy years of hard work to pay one off. These vehicles (the Shelby GT500, GT350, Super Snake, Boss 302) are not really that practical to purchase for most guys my age (I am 27) and I just happen to be one of the few lucky ones fortunate enough to be in the position in my life to afford such a gem (my beloved SBY Boss 302). Many of my friends view Shelby GT500's (hell, even my car) as unattainable. The money isn't there right now. But with that being said, if the desire for these cars right now is through the roof, I can only IMAGINE what 40+ years of hindsight will bring to these vehicles. I can see the envy in my buddies eyes when they see me behind the wheel of this thing, and all I hear them say is, "someday, someday, someday."

You know what that means. 40, 50 years from now when these machines are a distant memory guys that were my age who didn't have the paper will be looking back in fondness to snatch up these vehicles. If your BOSS is left alone, STOCK, in pristine condition, I believe it's you or it's inheritor that may be looking at quite a hefty retirement fund. My old neighbor all the time lectures me about driving it, even on weekends, as he scolds me by stating that the car will be worth a fortune down the road. I believe he is right. Due to the fact that many of these guys nowadays drop them, tint the windows, throw in the aftermarket CAI, switch this out, that out, etc., in my view, the more original, all the more rarer and valuable. Guys with no option Bosses may also see that their vehicles will be extremely coveted and possibly worth more in the long run.

Have fun with your Boss 302, but throw that car cover over it, put it away dry, wiped down, and taken care of. When the times change, and the designs change, and this and that, I am extremely certain that the car will be a collectible, a coveted piece of history. Two keys? Lopey idle? 444 hp? Already legendary. Not too many cars right now are as cool as this.

Just look at how much fun we're having now.

aarcox2013 said:
We are in a different age. When at one time it took only a summer job to afford a muscle car, nowadays it can take a guy years of hard work to pay one off.

I'm here to tell you that there were many of us around in the original muscle car days with summer jobs and more who couldn't afford one. A decent paying job at that time for a younger person was around $3 per hour (or less) so a $3,000 car would take around 1,000 hours of work to attain before taxes - and that would leave nothing for other expenses. It may have been easier then but not nearly as easy as the car magazines would lead us to believe. I knew guys who had muscle cars back then but most were working, not going to school, and spending a high percentage of their income on their car.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I had some gentlemen come to my Boss yesterday saying it'll be one of the classics from this era. I realized with trackey, that might be the kicker. No other car has something like that and I doubt any other car will. But you'll have to have the car programmed for it because 40 years from now, will they be able to reprogram it? That's a good question.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
ufnavy06 said:
I had some gentlemen come to my Boss yesterday saying it'll be one of the classics from this era. I realized with trackey, that might be the kicker. No other car has something like that and I doubt any other car will. But you'll have to have the car programmed for it because 40 years from now, will they be able to reprogram it? That's a good question.

No problem, in 40 years you will be able to buy the "rare" trackey software on eBay for $1050, lol...

In forty years they will laugh that cars actually had to be programmed because the cars of the future will just think for themselves and modifications will consist of just telling your car to upgrade itself.

I don't plan on being around in 40 years, but who knows. I am around now and my car is worth more to me in the present day then in the future. Would of, should of ,could of, never pays off, unless your dividend equate to guilt. To handle this car with kit glove on the speculation that it might be worth something to somebody years from now denies you of the reason you bought it in the first place, if you like performance cars. Unless your just riding around thinking, look at me I have a Boss and you don't ha, ha. Drive the car. Use it the way it was meant to used. If your looking for an investment, subscribe to the powerball lottery, the odds are the same. This is in no way directed at anyone, my rant is because I've been reading about the same thing for so long on most of the forums that it distorts the true meaning of why they built this car, bond with the car and hope it last longer then you.

TMO Supporting Vendors