Corner Balancing

Discussion in 'Suspension and Chassis' started by Mad302, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Mad302

Mad302 TMO Race

Is corner balancing worth it if you don't have coilovers? i do have adjustable sway bars but i can't adjust ride height.

I'm sure there's more to it than just that.

Just wanted some input that's all.

2. racer47

racer47 All I got left is fast

You need to be able to adjust at least 1 spring on the car. Whether its worth it or not depends on how far off it is. If you have access to scales, weigh the car with and without the driver and see how it looks. If its far off, you'll need to shim a spring to adjust it. If its relatively close, you can leave it alone and have piece of mind that there is little to be gained by messing with corner weights.

Mad302 likes this.
  3. Norm Peterson

Norm Peterson Corner Barstool Sitter

Adjustable sta-bars are only adjustable for rate, not for preload (which is what you'd need them to do to move corner weights around at all). But even with adjustable endlinks, cornerweighting with them probably isn't going to be very effective or efficient, because what you're trying to do with the bars is going to be opposed by the non-adjusted springs.

Speaking of adjustable endlinks . . . you'll want at least one per bar when you do a proper cornerweighting via adjusting individual spring heights. Otherwise, when you re-attach the bars your carefully adjusted cornerweights will almost certainly be pulled "off" by the now-preloaded bar(s).

Norm

TMSBOSS likes this.
  4. Mad302

Mad302 TMO Race

Thanks norm that's what I was thinking about after I asked this question.

5. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $587,402 Moderator

Simple answer is 'no'.

At a minimum without coilovers, you could use adjustable perches for the rear and at least an adjustable front sway bar link. I don't think it would be worth the effort without coilovers. More like a big hassle to make it level and balanced that way.