The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Don't Be This Guy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I really don't know where to place the greater blame, whether with consumers demanding that computers and electronics be somehow involved in everything they do, or (in this case) GM for pushing electronic solutions for everything on them.

The potential for incidents like this was fully recognized by GM and a mechanical means of releasing the door catch was provided. Which they should have just put in the door where it would be more visible and left the electronics out of it.

There's no excuse for this sort of complexity. 75 isn't far off for me, barely over 4 years, and if by then I'm too feeble to operate a mechanical door handle do you really want me out driving in traffic that includes you?

Norm

do you really want me out driving in traffic that includes you?
Norm, I think I might be better off with you on the road than all those distracted drivers with cell phones texting and taking and eating their Big Macs. As for that guy that got locked in his Caddy, I"m sure panic came into the picture and derailed his normal thinking, all tho 13 hrs IS a long tyme to figure a way out.

"Man, 75, shoots self while trying to exit locked car"
or even worse...'Man accidentally shoots and kills neighbor trying to help him out of his locked car"......After the Sandy Hook shooting massacre here a while back, there was talk of arming teachers as a precaution to future "problems". More locked doors seemed to be the better solution.........words of thought...............In Heaven there are no keys or locks...............................

Last edited:
Back in the day, My '87 Cutlass had normal hand operated door locks...I must have been the safest guy on the planet.......:D
Millenials would have a difficult time operating a car like that though. No Blue tooth, no collision avoidance system, no navigation system, no WiFi, no Internet, no rear cameras. The horror!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel