The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

DOT 4 brake fluids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much is needed to do a complete flush of old fluid to new? I am looking at KNS, and not really sure which fluid to go with. I do plan on doing track days, however I am new to tracking the car. What's the best choice?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If you are careful you can do it with one liter, When switching to a new brake fluid, I used a liter and a half to make sure it was flushed out completely. ATE blue was ok but for the track, really really like Castrol SRF. After a long track weekend, on monday morning the Castrol felt like new, the ATE felt tired and needed a bleeding.

My technique: get a oil bottle that has a window on the side and is graduated so you can see how much fluid is in it (I use a mobile one bottle). drill a hole in the cap and insert your aquarium tubing. Take 4 ounces out of each corner for a full fluid change and to ounces out of each corner for a bleed.

Splatter said:
If you are careful you can do it with one liter, When switching to a new brake fluid, I used a liter and a half to make sure it was flushed out completely. ATE blue was ok but for the track, really really like Castrol SRF. After a long track weekend, on monday morning the Castrol felt like new, the ATE felt tired and needed a bleeding.

Good answer, I wish I knew about this stuff sooner. I figured it would cost way more to use the SRF but in the end I use way less and save money.

Shaun12 - If you use a turkey baster or spray bottle nozzle to empty as much fluid out of the master as you can you will use less and make the job faster.

So if I get one bottle of the SRF stuff, it should be more then enough to flush out the enitre brake system and replace it with new fluid?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Shaun12 said:
So if I get one bottle of the SRF stuff, it should be more then enough to flush out the enitre brake system and replace it with new fluid?
Get 2, and drain the master cylinder reservoir out with a turkey baster or if you have one a vacuum oil drain setup. This saves on the amount you have to push through to clear the lines. The Castrol SRF is the best brake fluid out there, it absorbs the least moisture of all the high performance fluids and has the highest "wet" boiling point. You can leave it in for 6 months or more depending on how hard you run it. It costs more up front but is worth the peace of mind.
Steve

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
1.5 L for a full flush. Motul 600 is very good, Castrol SRF has the best specs. The sleeper that no one knows about if the Pagid RBF - very good specs and price is not as high as Castrol. It has the highest dry boiling temp. I sell it and also use it. EMail me for pricing if interested.

Dry Wet
ATE Super Blue 536 392
ATE Typ 200 536 392
Motul RBF 600 594 421
Pagid RBF 622 399
Castrol SRF 590 500

-Pete

TMO Supporting Vendors