The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Driveshaft Issues After Suspension Work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wish I had seen this sooner, the 8.8 is notoriously noisy, I guess because of the design it really makes a lot of gear noise, that being said, it's a very robust differential. What you might try doing is "clocking" the diff, in other words moving 180 degrees and bolting it back up and seeing what happens. It's true all the urethane parts will amplify all the 8.8 racket, and is very unforgiving on the clunk portion, checking the pinion angle might also help.
Having owned several 99-04 cobras, I'm well versed in the "cobra clunk" which happens everytime you let the clutch out. solid bushing just makes that worse.

I wish I had seen this sooner, the 8.8 is notoriously noisy, I guess because of the design it really makes a lot of gear noise, that being said, it's a very robust differential. What you might try doing is "clocking" the diff, in other words moving 180 degrees and bolting it back up and seeing what happens. It's true all the urethane parts will amplify all the 8.8 racket, and is very unforgiving on the clunk portion, checking the pinion angle might also help.
Having owned several 99-04 cobras, I'm well versed in the "cobra clunk" which happens everytime you let the clutch out. solid bushing just makes that worse.

Yeah, the 8.8 is our go-to unit when my restoration shop upgrades a foxbody, and I’ve seen these rear ends take some serious power and abuse in different cars over the years.

I guess I was just surprised at the amount of noise transferred into the cabin after the suspension work. After spending 3k miles or so with everything so quiet, I wasn’t expecting it. Ah, experience...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel