The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

End of an era

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve- So sorry to see that. Watching the video is painful as it happens so fast with nothing you could do. Scary how everything is wonderful one minute and 5 seconds latter the car is toast, literally.

Steve this is terrible news and you can't seem to get a break lately. Glad to see you're ok as that's the most important thing. Your enthusiasm for tracking your Mustang is contagious and I know I speak for all your TMO family when I say we hope to see you back on track in the near future. Please let us know if we can help in any way.

Terrible news, though glad to hear you walked away from it in one piece. That's what matters most. Will follow with interest the rebuild or whatever comes next.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Very sorry to hear also Steve! It's been quite the tough year… I hope that you choose to repair the mustang! It is an icon!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Steve:

I too am very sorry to see that happen to you. Although there wasn't much you could do, (other than brake), at the point of failure, I thought you handled that extremely well. For a less experienced driver, or like me, a vary less experienced race track driver, that could have been disastrous.

Very happy you were not injured, and now that it's been a few days I hope you are feeling well.

Thank you so much for posting about your experience and providing all of us here at TMO a reminder to keep viligent in our vehicle prep and maintenance. It helps to keep all of us a bit safer in our persute of the sport we love.

As Always,
Dave
2HP

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Steve,

Thank you for sharing as much as you have about this intense experience. Great learning opportunity for us novice racers. Very happy you were unhurt given all the 'in a rush' things that led up to the accident.

Very confident you will bounce back as an even stronger racer and advocate for TMO.

Best,
Charles

Yikes! That's horrible! You came out of it unscathed and that's excellent considering the circumstances. I really hope you decide to rebuild the car better ... stronger ... faster ...

I'm really interested in knowing how many track days you had on the inner tie rods. My car is almost completely stock and I drive on street tires, but even so, based on this thread and others, I'm beginning to think that I should treat the inner tie rods (and perhaps other similar bits and pieces of the suspension) as standard preventative maintenance items and replace them on a schedule. My car has about 20k miles and about 20 track days on it since new, and I'm now considering replacing the inner tie rods as a preventive measure.

Glad you're okay, even if the car isn't!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
kcbrown said:
Yikes! That's horrible! You came out of it unscathed and that's excellent considering the circumstances. I really hope you decide to rebuild the car better ... stronger ... faster ...

I'm really interested in knowing how many track days you had on the inner tie rods. My car is almost completely stock and I drive on street tires, but even so, based on this thread and others, I'm beginning to think that I should treat the inner tie rods (and perhaps other similar bits and pieces of the suspension) as standard preventative maintenance items and replace them on a schedule. My car has about 20k miles and about 20 track days on it since new, and I'm now considering replacing the inner tie rods as a preventive measure.

Glad you're okay, even if the car isn't!
Inner tie rods had well over 100 days on track, don't know the exact number but were installed as part of the 302S rack install back in 2012.
Steve

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
VoodooBOSS said:
What I was getting at is slicks and sticky tires put a lot of stress and wear on the ball joints compared to street tires. If you're running street tires this becomes a less frequent maintenance item.
Absolutely, the car on Hoosiers or Pirelli DH tires pulls regular 1.35-1.55 lateral and -1.15-1.30 g's under braking. Aggressive curb hopping also doesn't help.

Steve, I've been following your story since the day you posted putting the Boss stripes on your car....many moons ago! I know you're up in my neck of the woods..........I wish you well & know you will rebound with a fury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............courage knows no limits.... ;)

drano38

Wayne
Steve,
Sad news about the 21 car. I know you've done a ton of work to her.
But the important thing is you're ok.

TMO Supporting Vendors