The Mustang Forum for Track Enthusiasts

Track Mustangs Online was built specifically for those who track their Mustangs!

Engine Hesitation/Surge At constant throttle.

Badvoodoo

TMO Intermediate
So,
Has anyone run into this issue....Under acceleration the car seems fine but at constant throttle constant speed the car feel like it’s cutting out kinda. It surges and hesitates. Has anyone had anything like that happen. I’m thinking Mass Airflow sensor due to the fact that under high air demand it seems ok but then at constant throttle it surges and hesitates. Any ideas??

AdmirC

TMO Intermediate
Vancouver BC
You could try cleaning the MAF but it is pretty hard to do as the wires aren't really exposed and are in the metal housing. Do you use an oiled air filter? Also may be worth while to clean the throttle body as mine was pretty dirty the first time I cleaned it. Also, check for air leaks after the MAF.

Badvoodoo

TMO Intermediate
You could try cleaning the MAF but it is pretty hard to do as the wires aren't really exposed and are in the metal housing. Do you use an oiled air filter? Also may be worth while to clean the throttle body as mine was pretty dirty the first time I cleaned it. Also, check for air leaks after the MAF.
Thanks for the reply! I do use an oiled filter! So, I’ll check the throttle body and check for leaks as well. I’m going to try to get at the MAF. For whatever reason, I think it’s something in the intake system. Hopefully, it’s one of those 3 items.

Tonymustang302

TMO Addict
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the reply! I do use an oiled filter! So, I’ll check the throttle body and check for leaks as well. I’m going to try to get at the MAF. For whatever reason, I think it’s something in the intake system. Hopefully, it’s one of those 3 items.
dont use an oiled filter.

Badvoodoo

TMO Intermediate
So, should this symptom ever crop up for anyone else...turns out there is a TSB for this exact issue. The cause of the issue was, the nut on the output shaft from the transmission had loosened and it also finally inop-ed the cruise control. Who knew! Luckily the very sharp technician knew of the TSB.

SVTMatt

TMO Intermediate
HPDE
5-10 Years
Could you share the TSB #, I'm experiencing the same hesitation. Cleaned the MAF which helped a bit.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel