The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Excuse me.. pardon me ( Indy)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glowing brakes mean HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..............All tho I had a glowing brake problem leaving the rent-a -car place at Montego Bay Airport in Jamaica......I forgot to release the parking brake...OUCH!!

Glowing brakes mean HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..............All tho I had a glowing brake problem leaving the rent-a -car place at Montego Bay Airport in Jamaica......I forgot to release the parking brake
Actually, that's pretty normal for these cars. It's why we mark the location of the weights so the tire changer doesn't align them with the caliper, and anytime the car is in the air, we routinely spin the tires on front. The heat will melt the weight adhesive, or it will heat soak the bearings and caliper. You can't get near them without gloves.
At Daytona, they fired the front tire changers because they couldn't change pads and rotors in the 50 seconds it took to fuel the car.

Last edited:
When i lost my brakes racing in the Boss one time.....That was enough for me!!!!!!!....The feeling of melt down is not good.......I didn't realize what happened til later...brakes will be brakes........and I will be me...I won't go thru that again.....

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Actually, that's pretty normal for these card. It's why we mark the location of the weights so the tire changer doesn't align them with the caliper, and anytime the car is in the air, we routinely spin the tires on front. The heat will melt the weight adhesive, or it will heat soak the bearings and caliper. You can't get near them without gloves.
At Daytona, they fired the front tire changers because they couldn't change pads and rotors in the 50 seconds it took to fuel the car.
50 seconds! How is that done? Do you pull the pads first or do you force the pistons back first and then pull the pads? All while wearing welding gloves?
I'll apply for the jack up the car job, just as soon as they add the air lift jacks.

In the V6L
Actually, that's pretty normal for these cars. It's why we mark the location of the weights so the tire changer doesn't align them with the caliper, and anytime the car is in the air, we routinely spin the tires on front. The heat will melt the weight adhesive, or it will heat soak the bearings and caliper. You can't get near them without gloves.
I don’t suppose you can connect the calipers with Staubli’s in this series? Wheel off, caliper nuts off, unplug Staubli, pull caliper off, pull rotor off, new rotor on, new caliper on, plug Staubli in, caliper nuts on, wheel on, done.

I don’t suppose you can connect the calipers with Staubli’s in this series? Wheel off, caliper nuts off, unplug Staubli, pull caliper off, pull rotor off, new rotor on, new caliper on, plug Staubli in, caliper nuts on, wheel on, done.
The Mercedes I was affiliated with left the calipers connected to the brake lines, the 2 tire changers had the largest piston compressors and they looked over the hood at each other when they were ready to compress the pistons. I was kind busy myself, but I think it went wheel assy off, pads out, compress pistons, unbolt calipers, exchange brake discs, calipers on, pads in, wheel on, send it.

Last edited:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
In case people are wondering, in that video, the Porsche and Ford are using the Staubli dry-break connector on the brake hose, so they can unplug the caliper on the car and plug in a new one that has fresh pads (and fluid) loaded in it, along with the new rotor. Using the dry-break connector means you don't have to bleed the brakes after the change.

Ferrari is using the older method that @blacksheep-1 talked through above. The mechanics on both sides need to coordinate pushing the pistons into the calipers, and the driver needs to keep their foot off the brake pedal. Anyone messes up, and a piston shoots out of a caliper and you're probably putting the car in the garage to replace the caliper and bleed the lines.

Corvette also was changing the caliper, pad, and rotor as one assembly. They could do a brake change in less time than it took to refuel the car.

In case people are wondering, in that video, the Porsche and Ford are using the Staubli dry-break connector on the brake hose, so they can unplug the caliper on the car and plug in a new one that has fresh pads (and fluid) loaded in it, along with the new rotor. Using the dry-break connector means you don't have to bleed the brakes after the change.

Ferrari is using the older method that @blacksheep-1 talked through above. The mechanics on both sides need to coordinate pushing the pistons into the calipers, and the driver needs to keep their foot off the brake pedal. Anyone messes up, and a piston shoots out of a caliper and you're probably putting the car in the garage to replace the caliper and bleed the lines.

Corvette also was changing the caliper, pad, and rotor as one assembly. They could do a brake change in less time than it took to refuel the car.
Great explanation

In the V6L

The Ford, Porsche and Corvette setup looks pretty slick. It works like that because of a really useful trick the Staubli's can do - they can plug and unplug under pressure. So, the driver stops the car and holds the brake pedal down to clamp the calipers to the rotor. When the Staubli is unplugged the "dry break" technology in the Staubli means that the caliper stays clamped to the rotor and the driver's foot doesn't move. The replacement caliper/pad/rotor assembly is also pressurized in a jig before the change starts so it can also be handled as one single piece.

For the swap to work like it does in the videos, the caliper mount has to be built so the tech can release it and pull the caliper/pad/rotor assembly out sideways. Caliper studs, as nice as they are, won't work for this setup. Once the old parts are out, the crewman slides in the new rotor/pad/caliper one-piece assembly and locks it in place. Again, when the new Staubli is plugged in, there's no fluid loss or air entry, so the brakes work exactly like they're supposed to.

TMO Supporting Vendors