Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Boss 302 and S197 Technical Forum' started by Boss2620, Jan 19, 2019.
Are the both 8 bolt?
To be clear for everyone, it does appear that is mainly an issue with the OEM stamped housing and deflection/expansion at high temp and over 7,000 RPM. Before Boss2620 made the call to Exedy, I was certain that the problem was between the Housing and Diaphragm and not the disc. Either the fulcrum point/ring on the plate moved, and/or the fingers/diaphragm deformed under those conditions. Unfortunately, that was all just theoretical.
But after I talked to Boss2620 about this:
To me, the issue and the solutions are 100% clear now.
Pick the disc you want for your application and use. Brand-wise I'd favor Exedy myself - because they clearly understand the issue, but I'm sure that the McLeod housing is at the very least better than the OEM one, even if their disc is not as durable. I do not recall anyone having shifting issues with either RST or RXT - Just the broken discs reported as far as I know.
For the newer members or anyone who doesn't know - I have both '11 GT and '12 Boss. I have zero issues with the GT's OEM clutch and shifting at the stock GT rev limit. My Boss only has the lockout/soft pedal problem when hot and shifting anywhere near 7,500 at least a few times in a row. It has gotten incrementally worse over the years presumably from wear of the disc material, which worsens the geometry for mechanical clutch release.
Bosses do not all have the same shifter from the factory. The gates on my '12 are much tighter and notchier than all the '13s I have been in, which are much like my GT in feel and spacing.
I too think you will be extremely happy with the Exedy set-up as you describe. My install is also comprised of the Exedy Racing Stage 1 Organic Clutch kit (07807csc) w/the Exedy Aluminum Flywheel (EF502A). The MGW Short Throw Shifter, Shelby ISO Clutch Resevoir (384320), and Whiteline Transmission Mount Bushing Insert (KDT928) and Exedy combination completely eliminated high RPM/lateral torque lock outs I had also experienced with my 2012 Boss. My 302 is a daily driver that is driven to/from 3-4 HPDE events a year in SoCal. Since I have no engine modifications, the Racing Stage 1 variant also recommended to me by Exedy serves my purposes well.
This particular set-up also exhibits impeccable road manners and is quite a comfortable vehicle for my wife to drive on local grocery runs at low speed/low RPM with the occasional "oops, I think I started (from a red light) in 2nd gear" excursions.
All modern Coyote variants are, as far as I know. I'm talking about the pins between the flywheel and the pressure plate housing. GT and Boss are different.
In order to use an aftermarket clutch, Boss owners must switch to a GT style flywheel as all aftermarket clutch and flywheel parts are for the GT format.
Welcome to TMO, Dennis...and thanks for posting.
I just got my Stage 1 07807 with the lightened billet flywheel installed and bled the clutch to see what the pedal effort will be.
All I know is that the Exedy requires a lot more pedal effort than stock.
My bad. I forgot about this issue as I rarely experienced it. But I don´t have a Boss either. Listen to Swine.
On the other hand, the MGW did not change anything for me. For me the car shifts the same, just has more NVH. This is completely subjective, but in my experience the MGW is a bit overrated. Again, not a Boss and I shift at 6900.
As they say. YMMV
While chasing lockouts on the Boss. The first change I made was the shifter. I did this for two reasons. The shifter felt too vague and I had lockout issues. The MGW solved 90%+ of the lockouts. The other 10% came with the clutch change. Shifting at 7400 RPMs was a crap shoot. Sometimes she would, others....not so much.
When I first drove my Boss, the shifter was my only disappointment. I grew up on Hurst competition plus shifters and four speeds. Loved them. When I went looking for a replacement for the Boss, Hurst was a disappointment. The MGW I put in both Mustangs. Never regretted the move.
I do agree on the MGW being somewhat overrated, not to say it doesnt perform well. It just didnt make my shifting experience go from "terrible" to "amazing" like lore may lead you to believe. The stock shifter has never really given me problems, but my stock Boss clutch has 100%
RST was the only thing that cured the lockout for me. MGW, Blowfish, stainless clutch line, Whiteline bushing, Spec Stg 1 and alloy flywheel - none of them had any effect. RST fixed it immediately. If I bought another Boss, the very first thing I would do to it would be a clutch upgrade so that you can fully enjoy the revs.