The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
93429531-_RJP1909.JPG

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
93429529-_RJP0009.JPG

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5.JPG

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here we go…..case in point.
Out of the 60 plus cars that qualified in our group, Dave and I qualified 10th and 11th overall. You’d think we’d start in the 5th row but no. We were in like the 43rd and 44th starting positions. First and second in our Class yes, but our class started near the end of the group for Fock sakes. And, there was a split start so all the other classes started way way ahead of us and we had to chase them down……Does anyone else do grid this way or is it just a local thing?

0E76FB3B-70EE-4606-8CF3-0488D776C3F0.jpeg

Last edited:

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
I've never run NASA but thats just stupid. Its bad enough that there is huge range of cars including Legends?! Thats a 3/4 scale, 1200 lb car on track with 4000 lb tanks. Then lets mix up the grid based on attendance?? Really, I've never heard of that. I ran SCCA for 10 years and always started based on qual time, no inverts, no fast class to the back, no split starts, nothing like that at all.

I remember when NASA started. I was running SCCA at the time and NASA promised to be the end all be all of road racing, fix all of SCCA's problems, race less classes with more cost contained cars, lower entry fees, etc. The only beneficial thing that happened is that they sanctioned races on lesser known tracks that SCCA ignored. But then they also came up with a whole new set of rules and cars that don't cross over well into SCCA or IMSA. The power to weight thing might be ok too.

Here, watch some of this you'll feel better.
Its the Slinger Nationals, 24 super lates on a 1/4 mile and not one car got lapped. Several crashed but they were all flyin' door to door bumper to bumper for 200 laps (12 car invert btw). Skip to 19:00 to see the race ending battle.

Like the late, great Dick Trickle once said....."Racing at Slinger is like a jet fighter in a gymnasium"

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I've never run NASA but thats just stupid. Its bad enough that there is huge range of cars including Legends?! Thats a 3/4 scale, 1200 lb car on track with 4000 lb tanks. Then lets mix up the grid based on attendance?? Really, I've never heard of that. I ran SCCA for 10 years and always started based on qual time, no inverts, no fast class to the back, no split starts, nothing like that at all.

I remember when NASA started. I was running SCCA at the time and NASA promised to be the end all be all of road racing, fix all of SCCA's problems, race less classes with more cost contained cars, lower entry fees, etc. The only beneficial thing that happened is that they sanctioned races on lesser known tracks that SCCA ignored. But then they also came up with a whole new set of rules and cars that don't cross over well into SCCA or IMSA. The power to weight thing might be ok too.

Here, watch some of this you'll feel better.
Its the Slinger Nationals, 24 super lates on a 1/4 mile and not one car got lapped. Several crashed but they were all flyin' door to door bumper to bumper for 200 laps (12 car invert btw). Skip to 19:00 to see the race ending battle.

Like the late, great Dick Trickle once said....."Racing at Slinger is like a jet fighter in a gymnasium"
YES! That looks just like my home track.
THIS right here is how I got so good in traffic.
Every road racer should do some time on a short track, the skills learned here are positively invaluable.
As for the how NASA does grid here in Norcal, its pretty much "When in Rome do as the Romans do"....I just find it very odd and frustrating.

Here we go…..case in point.
Out of the 60 plus cars that qualified in our group, Dave and I qualified 10th and 11th overall. You’d think we’d start in the 5th row but no. We were in like the 43rd and 44th starting positions. First and second in our Class yes, but our class started near the end of the group for Fock sakes. And, there was a split start so all the other classes started way way ahead of us and we had to chase them down……Does anyone else do grid this way or is it just a local thing?

View attachment 77317
AFM does it for motorcycles, a Bay Area club. If you don’t know bikes it might not be so obvious but there’s some classes that are similar to that:

no experience gridding/racing here in FL other than folks gridding up in advanced at HPDE that I lap in 3-4 laps (which I’ve *never* seen in motorcycles, and I’m not that fast in a car!).

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
nasa norcal kinda has their own local rules that are different than nation wide rules. the grid thing was annoying though so

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I mean, you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but I'll make an exception this time.

1657754886599.png

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
I don't know..... They might make him start last, facing backwards.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I mean, you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but I'll make an exception this time.

View attachment 77333
Where did you see that?
Edit: I never read that stuff….thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
293196468_413417177420405_9168275143570937233_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

View attachment 77333
1657754886599.png

I wonder how they got that picture....somebody's been snooping TMO or Facebook I suppose.
Frank took that picture himself so they had to steal it off the web. How odd.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
LoL.

4.JPG

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I wonder how they got that picture....somebody's been snooping TMO or Facebook I suppose.
Frank took that picture himself so they had to steal it off the web. How odd.
I think that's the reason they didn't say anything about me, all my pictures are of a broken down piece of shiznit, and they can't use a picture of Patrick Stewart with a firearm.
(well that, and my inability to drive)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I think that's the reason they didn't say anything about me, all my pictures are of a broken down piece of shiznit, and they can't use a picture of Patrick Stewart with a firearm.
(well that, and my inability to drive)
LOL.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel