The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I know you love Frankenstang. You better slow down and loose a couple or Fords going to recruit you to drive for them! You could get stuck beating on one of their cars and not have to worry about maintenance or anything.
I don't think anybody is interested in a 64 year old fat Racecar guy.
But then....wouldn't that be cool?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'm not very happy with that fancy shifter....

Saturday Race:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yeah, I wonder if it’s the shifter or the RPM overwhelming the gearbox?

Your drive off of corners is where that car sure shines!
Worked fine with the old shifter.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'm kind of surprised they didn't penalize you for changing lanes before the start line. We got screwed on that one at Daytona.
Never heard of that….when the green flies the whole track is green.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Agree with BS1 on the move prior to the start line as that caught me in SCCA a couple of times over the years , but I also think it is a Regional issue. Other places it did not matter and I got nailed for not grabbing a spot. It seems, with NASA, the minute the flag even budges the whole track is a wide open Sooner charge for a land grab...........and not surprising if split race to see folks behind you go even before their flag unfurls.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Vintage seems to pretty much follow Sal's take...even when we are grouped with the NASA race cars. What I have been taught is when the flagman raises that shoulder to bring that flag up...mat it, start looking for holes, and grabbing gears. CVAR seems to be worse. I have seen four wide going down the front stretch at ECR...prior to the S/F Line.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sunday Race Video is up....in case you have 27 minutes to kill. lol.
Only got drilled twice this time.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
that BMW was really working you over, seems like it was pretty clean though. Was that green/black Camaro that fired it into the first turn from a mile back another T/A car?
Yes it used to be, now it’s a T1 car with really good brakes.
I gotta stop following that challenger into the corner, he just holds me up and we both get smoked. It was my first time racing with that guy and the Camaro told me after the race he knows him and planned that move ahead of time cause he’s so slow into 2 until his tires warm up. Lesson learned for me.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yeah, I wonder if it’s the shifter or the RPM overwhelming the gearbox?

Your drive off of corners is where that car sure shines!
Actually, last year at Sonoma it flat refused to shift or stay in gear all weekend.
I cured it with a fluid change of all things....I'm gonna try that again and pray.
I'm also going to try to stay closer to the blue shift light than the yellow one. ;)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
What's S1 saying about the issue?
They are in Australia so it’s not like I can call them up….plus I know what they’ll say…

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
4Q1A1719.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors