The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
LOL...oh well :) I hope your tires weren't affected.
I was doing paperwork all day but looked at the car briefly and everything looks really good but the toe. Car settled about 3/8" though....I initially set it higher. As I get some free time I will smoke things over real good. Those stupid Baer brakes are all froze up again. Not sure if that was helping the car push....don't imagine it helped having the front brakes dragging heavily through the turns. lol.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Wiped out a brand new set of Pagids.....5 more laps and we would have hit metal.
So how much do the brakes have to drag to wear out a set of pads in 3 sessions?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I guess you already know. Damn, the cost of not swapping brakes is also expensive.
Yeah, this shiznit stops here.
I think I may have a set of used brembo's lined up, so stay tuned. :eek:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yea. That should overload the front axel and likely cause a push.
Of course of you had only 400 RWHP like us mear mortals, the brakes may have shown themselves earlier.
Anything worth having is worth having too much. LOL.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sal: Sorry to hear that the Baers continue to be an issue. If you can get your hands on a Brembo 14 or 15" pro kit, you will have plenty of RELIABLE brake.

Next option would be to go for the S550 PP brake conversion (less cost but not competition-tested in PWC/IMSA).

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sal--call Paul / Brian at Paul's Automotive Engineering. They may be able to offer you something better at a competitive price. http://www.paulsautomotiveengineering.com/

I don't know too much about the kit in that link other than that the rotors are smaller than even OEM Boss/GT500 Brembos. Not sure of pad size/fitment/thickness.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sal--call Paul / Brian at Paul's Automotive Engineering. They may be able to offer you something better at a competitive price. http://www.paulsautomotiveengineering.com/

I don't know too much about the kit in that link other than that the rotors are smaller than even OEM Boss/GT500 Brembos. Not sure of pad size/fitment/thickness.
As of now its a done deal. The kit is already on its way.
It can't be any worse than what I've had, which is 100% total failure every single time out. My new wheels wont accept a 15" rotor and I even had to grind some on the 14" Baer extremes to get them in there. These super deep f-14's have a straight barrel which sucks, but that's all I could get at the time I ordered the wheels.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
What time does it get to my house?
Sorry, sold it to a local guy....Arizona is a long way away.
Besides, you don't want this one, its a narrow lift so a stock mustang barely fits.
With 12's it hung off both sides.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
If you DO buy one, get the HD-9.
Had I known then what I know now I would only have had to buy this once.

I was hoping for a video of you crushing those Baer calipers! :eek:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I was hoping for a video of you crushing those Baer calipers! :eek:
I wish, but I'll need to sell these to finance other stuff.
I've spent a shiznit ton of money lately between a long list of car upgrades, a new s550, a new 4 post lift and a 28000.00 CNC plasma machine. (Oh, and my rent went up 800.00/mo.) I'll be in training all week for the plasma machine so hotels, food and travel for my son and I while the shop isn't making any money. I'll need whatever I can salvage from those brakes to buy gas. :( I'm sure with stock non sticky pads on a street car they will be fine. But no good for race cars. Lesson learned.

Not to be outdone, my daughter is out test driving a 50th anniversary eco boost s550 premium w/performance pack right now. Black to be like her brother, but not.
I wonder where these kids get their competitiveness....?
In my next life I wanna be rich instead of just tragically good looking. lol.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel