The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First race weekend for NASA Texas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It appears that the white mustang was at least even (front fender to fender) with the black mustang giving the white mustang the corner. The black mustang looks like he actually yielded to the white mustang by moving back slightly to the right. The blue mustang seems to have cleared everyone and seemed to run about what the normal line through the corner would be. The Camaro was ahead of the black mustang by a nose (fender) and seemed to follow the blue mustang during turn-in. Is there is a different 3/4 rule when applied to the outside car in the turn, when the outside car is overtaking? If there is, the Camaro was not clear of the black mustang when he turned into the corner. It almost seems like if the black mustang backed off and did not get malachi crunched, the Camaro and white mustang would have collided. If you're passing on the outside and it's up to you to make a clean pass per the rules, then if you turn in on someone, I guess it would be you're fault.

Grant 302 said:
I see that the black stang had a bad start...but when is that a 'fault'? Of course, nobody *wants* to do that.

Exactly. NASA doesn't find fault in mental processes and reaction times. You either gave the room you owed, or you didn't.

A very valuable rule that I learned early in my racing rule is "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". That's why I suggested that all of them, particularly White and blue, get a little talking too. While it may be that the front row got a bad start, and the rules say they can get along side, making it 4 wide at the start was not a wise thing.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I said blame due to the fact that any of us who have done standing starts have been the one who screwed the start at some time. That stacks everyone behind you and other drivers go into avoidance mode. The White Stang blew by and the Black one drifted left ----- hard to see where he ( white car ) could have gone at speed, but still ascertain that once the mistake was made hard to catch up and focus and do believe lack of composure was the main issue. Keep in mind they would not have been 4 wide if not for the poor start. Been to many a World Challenge race and seen numerous bad starts, and sorry but the fault is usually assigned to the racer who didn't get a good run when the flag went down.

The comment on since when is a mistake put someone at fault, I guess I would politely state that is what causes all accidents, a mistake. Alot of drivers have only done running starts in races, but this is a common problem with the standing start, and I think if you ask the fellow competitors , the individual who causes a stack up is the one who will primarily be put in the hot seat. Are there other circumstances , sure, but frankly this issue is why many sanctioning bodies prefer a running start.

We all can have differing opinions and this is just mine, and will have to admit I have been the culprit with a poor start, and watching the scramble behind, hard to fault anyone but yourself -- fortunately no accident in my situation.

Here is Race 4, it's an inverted start based on R3 finish.

Now you can see how small T1 gets

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkO_OAiKILM[/youtube]

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks Smitty .................it might hit 25 today ( 21 now ), so this is my racing mind trip for the week. Thanks for the vicarious thrills and nice run. What track is this, by the way??

It's Motor Sports Ranch Houston, first time for me to race there, fun track.

Here's another

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQPMOO1CLJ0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUH8Zle8GXesGxAN1WggiUhg[/youtube]

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
+5 on this thread because of Jimmy P's Malachi Crunch reference ;D

I am glad that the experienced NASA guys have chimed in about marshall interpetations. I question why standing starts are still being used. I know that the holeshots are cool, but add to many variables such as sleeping, clutch slipping, wheelspin etc that make Turn 1 approach more dangerous than it already is.

How many driver's meetings have we all been too where the Chief Steward says a race isn't won at Turn 1 but many have been lost there.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Steveespo ---

Good comment and Smitty ( and all the rest of you in warm climes ) keep those videos coming. No racing on TV , so you are our track rat heros for awhile, and Winter is always a good time to view road courses you have not been to, that you might want to put on your bucket list.

Smitty, agree, looks like a fun track and can it be run both clockwise and counter clockwise ( think I might have seen it going the other direction once, but not positive )

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Nice air inlet on the Miata Jimmy, ha! Cool that the track can run both ways, and thanks for the video confirming that, as I think in the past this was the only direction I saw the track being run.

TMO Supporting Vendors