The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Fixed my miss fire codes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas427

BOSS LS #469
Not sure if the heat of the summer will bring back the miss fire codes but this is what I have done. I have 7000 miles on the Boss now. Just under 6000 on the new engine. I never had a track day without setting at least 1 code. I choose to drive the boss to the track as a last minute event, and using the black key on the way I was making some low RPM pulls to check shift points. After a few pulls it set the miss fire code. It went away and I got to the track and made my first session. It tripped again same cyl # 5. Pulled plug and coil and check compression all good swapped coil and plug with # 6. Fueled up with 98 race fuel. It never happened again. Two days on track all good except the clutch sticking to the floor. I removed the assit spring and that fixed that.

I know at 8.50 a gallon the fuel is expensive but after 3 days at Daytona and no problems. How can you complain it is a race car right??? Thats 5 track days no codes.

Now if I could get the trans to shift at 6500 plus I will be able to keep up with YELLOWBOSS. Got locked out on every try at Daytona. I did the MGW Shifter but I think the clutch just dosn't release.

Has anyone changed to a square tire setup and got the sway bars correct.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDUzl1f5qco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLcSPS6lPu4

jas427 said:
Now if I could get the trans to shift at 6500 plus I will be able to keep up with YELLOWBOSS. Got locked out on every try at Daytona. I did the MGW Shifter but I think the clutch just dosn't release.
My theory for some time is the shifting issues are mostly clutch related. The clutch is not up to the task and the clutch fingers aren't capable of handling high RPM's and it doesn't fully release. Add to that the clutch sticking to the floor and someone is going to get hurt. Ford I hope you're paying attention to this. I just got mine back from my dealer and they pulled the clutch to inspect it and didn't find anything and reinstalled all the stock parts. So nothing has changed and I still expect to have shifting lock out and the clutch stick.

BTW Ford is going to release a new base tun for all Boss 302's and it should be available soon.

drano38

Wayne
jas427 said:
Has anyone changed to a square tire setup and got the sway bars correct.

I'm running square and it works well. Allows me to rotate front/back for max tire life.
Started with Nitto NT-05 275/40/18, then went to 285/35 for the next set.
Strano front and rear adjustable bars are all you need. Actually, you can go with just his front or rear, but I decided to do both at the same time since they're not that expensive. Still have stock struts and springs.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=870&CategoryID=200&ModelID=35
I think both front and back are set full stiff.
JSheier has run the Strano bars square also.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel