The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Radium fuel system for my 2012 - now i need a 'post pump' filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of course i'm installing the Radium S197 hat hanger system it this week and didn't realize i needed this part. Should i next day air the $150 Radium one https://www.radiumauto.com/High-Flow-Fuel-Filters-P846.aspx and get whatever adapters i need also.

Or.. is there something less expensive i can get from a local auto parts store tomorrow? Maybe a GT500 filter or something.

From the install manual
"For Ford Mustang GT (pump unit shown at right), a post-pump filter is integrated into the (factory) unit. The Radium fuel pump hanger does NOT include an internal post-pump fuel filter. A low micron filter should be installed somewhere downstream of the pump(s) prior to the injectors and/or fuel pressure regulator. This will protect the fuel system from small debris. Radium carries these filters in various elements (P/N: 20-0220-05, P/N: 20-0220-03)."

Update, you need a 10micron or better filter since its the last one inline.. I am probably going to put it under the car where the GT500 filter goes but i need to see the best way to fit it.. if anyone has done this, got any pics?

Oh and if you don't want to scream in frustration, make sure you use a magnetic screw driver to attach the 3/8 quick disconnect to male -6 aN adapter from Radium .. that little grub screw jumped out of my fingers and went tink tink tink and never hit the damn ground! ate by the S197 straight into hell i think. See attached pic its that tiny silver screw enjoying its new home buried somewhere in the engine compartment.radium S197 Mustang sae to -6AN.jpg

Ok everyone, since i got this finished finally i'd like to help anyone in the same situation.. if you have an S197 2011-2014 it does not have an inline 10micron fuel filter.. that filter is located in the hat in the tank. once you swap to a new fuel hat / pump system you will need to put a 10micron filter somewhere after the hat and before the injectors. The white pre-pump filter bags that go on the bottom of each pump are 100 microns. On the S197 GT500 there is a small spot for an inline filter, this is where you need to put your new one, problem is all the good ones like Holley for example are 5inches long and 2" in diameter plus AN fittings. See pics. Result - you need the following:
1. Two 3/8 compression fittings to interface with the fuel line.
2. Two -6AN female / female hose segments.
3. A filter with two male 6-AN fittings coming out each end.

The main issues? you can't get the tube cutter very far forward due to proximity to other lines. Also the fuel line is mostly curved at the front of the car making it not work with the compression fitting adapters. So you must get the pump as far forward as you can using a short hose on that end.. the shorter you can make it the less you will have to clearance your plastic cover. See pics for the finished setup. Hope this helps some people!

holley_filter_1_s197.JPG

holley_filter_2_s197.JPG

Good info, thanks for the post. If I was to attempt this, I'd probably try to replicate the factory 2005-2010 GT and 2011-2014 GT500 routing like you mentioned. The fuel filter bracket for those is 4R3Z-9180-AA, screwing into the chassis rail with a W701107-S307 bolt. The OEM fuel filter 2C5Z-9155-BC/Motorcraft FG1083 is reported to be an 8-micron filter by Motorcraft (99.9% of 20-micron and above, 98% 8-micron and above) and you can find them at any autopart store very inexpensively compared to the more-expensive aftermarket housings and replacement cartridges that require disassembly. A couple female bundy/quick connectors and some rubber fuel line and you're off to the races with an almost-OEM solution that will fit under the protective cover. I think for the availability of parts in a pinch, the ease of use for discarding and replacing, in addition to it clearing the bottom cover and likely having the same cost per filter as most high-end aftermarket filter cartridge replacements would solidify the choice for me. If the user had a car with higher-than-GT500 fuel flow needs or needing lots of E85 flow with a stainless filter medium (though the OEM filter is apparently rated for use on flex-fuel vehicles), they would have to get a larger aftermarket solution like the one you showcased.

GT500FuelLineFilter.jpg

Good info, thanks for the post. If I was to attempt this, I'd probably try to replicate the factory 2005-2010 GT and 2011-2014 GT500 routing like you mentioned. The fuel filter bracket for those is 4R3Z-9180-AA, screwing into the chassis rail with a W701107-S307 bolt. The OEM fuel filter 2C5Z-9155-BC/Motorcraft FG1083 is reported to be an 8-micron filter by Motorcraft (99.9% of 20-micron and above, 98% 8-micron and above) and you can find them at any autopart store very inexpensively compared to the more-expensive aftermarket housings and replacement cartridges that require disassembly. A couple female bundy/quick connectors and some rubber fuel line and you're off to the races with an almost-OEM solution that will fit under the protective cover. I think for the availability of parts in a pinch, the ease of use for discarding and replacing, in addition to it clearing the bottom cover and likely having the same cost per filter as most high-end aftermarket filter cartridge replacements would solidify the choice for me. If the user had a car with higher-than-GT500 fuel flow needs or needing lots of E85 flow with a stainless filter medium (though the OEM filter is apparently rated for use on flex-fuel vehicles), they would have to get a larger aftermarket solution like the one you showcased.

View attachment 90839
That is actually what i wanted to do but was scolded by my pals for contemplating rubber tubes and fittings .. hence me no use that way less expensive GT500 filter and rubber lines.. but its 100% the same function.

Last edited:
That is actually what i wanted to do but was scolded by my pals for contemplating rubber tubes and fittings .. hence me no use that way less expensive GT500 filter and rubber lines.. but its 100% the same function.
One last update.. system works great regulator holds 55 psi perfect etc except one thing, it loses all the fuel pressure when i park it and takes about 2 seconds of turning over to get the fuel going again on start up. So much for built in check valves… my tuner Shaun from AED said he cant do a custom duration key on pump tune oh well

TMO Supporting Vendors