The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FL820S FL500S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
I use the oil Ford recommends, and just change it before every track weekend. My track weekends are usually 4 x 20-25 minute sessions per day for two days. Unless you are running an Enduro race I doubt you would need anything else.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I am running 820S filters on my 5.0 and 0W-40 Mobil 1 European Formula. I ran a track day in April after changing my oil and filter and the oil life meter was at 98%. After 101 miles of track time my oil life was down to 30%. Seems like the ECU is tracking RPM, load and fuel flow (7300 rpm, 8 mpg) to gauge oil life. I would change after each track day, fairly cheap insurance. BTW the JLT catch can on my car had less than 2 tablespoons of oil in it after the days running, pretty good oil control.
Steve

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 6/17/2011 04:29:37 AM
To: Ford Motor Company

Subject: Vehicle Warranty Questions

Main Topic: VehicleWarrantyQuestions
Your Inquiry: I have a 12 Boss 302 that calls for a oil filter FL500S. I am told the FL820S will work and I want to use the Ford racing filter 820S. If I use that filter will it effect warranty coverage? Please let me know.ThanksScott

Dear Scott,

I have received your email and understand that you would like to use a filter on your 2012 Ford Mustang other than what is recommended by Ford.

As much as I would like to promptly address your inquiry, I am sorry that the required information was not readily available to the Customer Relationship Center. To ensure that your inquiry is properly addressed, I have escalated this to the appropriate department within Ford Motor Company. I hope to have an answer for you shortly.

I sincerely thank you for your patience while I am looking into your inquiry.

Sincerely,
Mea
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

For online support visit us at: www.customersaskford.com which contains answers to frequently asked questions and links to other key product and service information.

Well......

Dear Scott,

I am sending you this follow up communication in regards to your inquiry about using the FL-820-S filter on your 2012 Ford Mustang Boss. Please be advised that the FL-500-S is the only Ford filter recommended for the 5.0 L engine. The older 4.6L engine in the 2010 and previous years was the one that used the FL-820-S filter.

If you still prefer to use a filter other than what is recommended, I am truly sorry that at this time, we are unable to confirm wether this will or will not void your warranty. If in the future this FL-820-S filter causes a concern on your vehicle, please be advised that your Dealership is in the best position to determine if a repair can be done under your vehicle's warranty.

I sincerely apologize if I was unable to completely address your inquiry. If you have any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us as it has been our pleasure to assist a valued customer like yourself.

Sincerely,
Mea
Ford Motor Company

The only thing that seems fishy to me about all of this is that Ford's intake/tune kit for the 5.0L comes with an FRPP 820 filter. I know that some FRPP come with their own warranty (like the superchargers and their 12k/12mo warranties), but I didn't think that those mild intake/tune kits changed the factory warranty. Perhaps I'm wrong, and using it reduces your warranty to 12k/12mo.

In any event, thanks for the follow up.

Voiding a warranty based on a filter?
2012Boss said:
Well......

Dear Scott,

I am sending you this follow up communication in regards to your inquiry about using the FL-820-S filter on your 2012 Ford Mustang Boss. Please be advised that the FL-500-S is the only Ford filter recommended for the 5.0 L engine. The older 4.6L engine in the 2010 and previous years was the one that used the FL-820-S filter.

If you still prefer to use a filter other than what is recommended, I am truly sorry that at this time, we are unable to confirm wether this will or will not void your warranty. If in the future this FL-820-S filter causes a concern on your vehicle, please be advised that your Dealership is in the best position to determine if a repair can be done under your vehicle's warranty.

I sincerely apologize if I was unable to completely address your inquiry. If you have any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us as it has been our pleasure to assist a valued customer like yourself.

Sincerely,
Mea
Ford Motor Company

2012Boss said:
Well......

Dear Scott,

Sincerely,
Mea
Ford Motor Company

Typical CYA response from customer service. I haven't read the warranty, but I doubt it says you have to use Ford oil filters.

Yes, it is a different type of filter the car is calling for, it is not about brands. Anytime you use something other then what the car calls for you can void the warranty. However the difference here is Ford Racing is saying that the FL820S will work. I want to investigate this more with Ford and Ford Racing.

What about brakes or shocks etc?
2012Boss said:
Big Vito said:
2012Boss said:
Well......

Yes, it is a different type of filter the car is calling for, it is not about brands. Anytime you use something other then what the car calls for you can void the warranty. However the difference here is Ford Racing is saying that the FL820S will work. I want to investigate this more with Ford and Ford Racing.

It all depends on the dealer and the problem. I doubt Ford wants to void legitimate claims but it would depend on the problem. If you put race pads on a car and claim the rotors wore down in a week then yes. If you replace the fluid to DOT 4 and the seat back breaks then no they can not say you have altered something. They are not telling me the entire car is out of warranty but if there is an engine problem and you have the "wrong" or not correct according to the book filter on, you could have a problem.

2012Boss said:
It all depends on the dealer and the problem. I doubt Ford wants to void legitimate claims but it would depend on the problem. If you put race pads on a car and claim the rotors wore down in a week then yes. If you replace the fluid to DOT 4 and the seat back breaks then no they can not say you have altered something. They are not telling me the entire car is out of warranty but if there is an engine problem and you have the "wrong" or not correct according to the book filter on, you could have a problem.
Agreed. I think they give a pretty good warranty these days on the power train, but they need to make sure customers aren't causing failures. Years ago when I was stationed in Omaha, my buddy's Ford Windstar had a blown head gasket and it wasn't covered because they determined he went past his required oil change interval by analyzing the oil. Cost him over 3K. Saw him last year, he's still religious about oil changes. :D

Guys here's some pics showing the difference between OEM, 500S, and 820S filters. I just changed the oil and put on the 500S.

DSC02080.jpg

DSC02081.jpg

DSC02082.jpg

Wow. Are stock and the 500 the same diameter?

5 DOT 0 said:
Wow. Are stock and the 500 the same diameter?

No the 500S is a little bigger in diameter. I did save the OEM filter though. Might want to put it back on for shows a million years from now...

Fat Boss said:
No the 500S is a little bigger in diameter. I did save the OEM filter though. Might want to put it back on for shows a million years from now...

Hum, I think I forgot to take my to the recycling center, maybe I should hang onto it. :D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel