The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Forgestar F14 Wheel Failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ran across this on the Jalopnik site. I've heard of Forgestar wheel failure before, but this is pretty spectacular and could've been disastrous. Since quite a few of us run F14s as track wheels on our Bosses, this is pretty disconcerting. I may have to dump mine and splurge on proper forged wheels for the track.

https://youtu.be/vtYjujhW27Q

Re: Forgester F14 Wheel Failure

Oh no :eek:

I run F14s and have events coming up in the next two weekends. I was already having pre-season paranoia, where I start speculating all the things that could go wrong... now I have this to worry about!

However, I do inspect my wheels at least once a day when rotating them. I also give them a wipe down to make sure I see and possibly feel cracks.
Having said that, I should also probably replace my set soon. I've tracked the F14s for 2-3 years now, with alot of curb jumps and a few off track excursions.

Thanks for the share!

Yikes! There have been failures with Enkei PF01's too when used on Boss 302/S197 Mustangs. They cracked but no catastrophic failure that I know of. After the Enkei's started cracking I checked mine carefully before each event. Regardless I don't think this is a systematic failure with Forgestar or Enkei for that matter.

Yikes. Pro-tip he gives is a good idea. I had a couple Enkeis crack a spoke over the seven years I ran them, but fortunately I spotted the cracks during inspection before a catastrophic failure. If all of his spokes were cracking that badly after 14 events there must have been a manufacturing defect in that set.

Scary indeed! But couldnt help LOL a bit when he pointed out the window like "oh look my wheel"

they have been talking about this on my site

here is some of what has been said

The guy was only getting like 5 thread engagement on the lugs, and it said that he actually drilled the lug holes out "slightly" to allow gorilla extended lugs to work. The stupidity of those two suggests that maybe something else contributed to the failure, especially since the three others were cracked as well.

GOT SVT said:

The guy was only getting like 5 thread engagement on the lugs, and it said that he actually drilled the lug holes out "slightly" to allow gorilla extended lugs to work. The stupidity of those two suggests that maybe something else contributed to the failure, especially since the three others were cracked as well.
Well there you have it. I know plenty of guys running these wheels on 3600 lbs Mustangs in 11" & 12" widths on slicks.

cloud9 said:
Well there you have it. I know plenty of guys running these wheels on 3600 lbs Mustangs in 11" & 12" widths on slicks.

And I would be one of those guys. I just added checking for cracks to my pre-track check list. Seeing the pics of those hairline cracks is helpful so I know what to look for.

Since most people don't have "dye penetrant" inspection available here is a simple way to enhance and spot any signs of cracking. After washing the wheel inside /out dry it completely and apply some mineral spirits available at any paint store. Its thinner than water and will stay in very small cracks and show up pretty easily.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

@Fair and @modernbeat had some good discussion about this "quality issue", maybe they would care to comment here. Lots of stupidity involved in the failure.

Forgester F14 Wheel Failure

GOT SVT said:

If your saying the guy in the video above drilled the lug holes out on the wheel in the video I'm not certain that's what caused the wheel failure. The wheel didn't break at the lug holes, it broke at the spoke.

Oh boy. I hope this never happens to my Forgelines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read Terry's analysis here and it will set your mind at ease:

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2319269#post2319269

Bottom line, guy had multiple issues - old cracks that were not addressed, and a huge off shortly before the failure that likely ultimately compromised the integrity of the wheels to a point where catastrophic failure was the only option.

I don't think this was a quality issue with Forgestar. This was user error/neglect.

Fair

Go Big or Go Home
Supporting Vendor
Plano, TX

TheSpungos said:
Read Terry's analysis here and it will set your mind at ease:

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2319269#post2319269

Bottom line, guy had multiple issues - old cracks that were not addressed, and a huge off shortly before the failure that likely ultimately compromised the integrity of the wheels to a point where catastrophic failure was the only option.

I don't think this was a quality issue with Forgestar. This was user error/neglect.
Indeed, we have had what I felt was a good analysis of this one user's issue - which is the first fatigue failure of any Forgestar I've seen in 6 years of knowing about their wheels. There is no pattern of failures with Forgestar wheels.

DSC_3898-M.jpg

There are several trolls who have come in and setup anonymous accounts on that forum (likely friends of the guy from the S2000 forums) trying to make this about me being an a-hole (which is true so I won't debate that), rather than discussing the facts and observations I pointed out. It has gotten pretty funny over there after my first post, and I have written 2 more. Hopefully this is all done now.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

Same thing happened down here at one of our tracks, a 370Z lost a really cheap Chinese wheel the same way. So our team mates with their mustangs and ZL1's's started to tease the fellow about super charging a 370 but having Chinese wheels...... Until I pointed out that all of us apart from the 370 where running Forgestars or SVE drifts.... So we should have said bugged him about buying "crappy" Chinese wheels instead of "sound" Chinese wheels! None of the Forgestars show any sign of cracking (neither do the Drifts).

okay ill chime in here, I had an unfortunate wreck at auto club speed way on forgestars back in january. I will admit i am extremely abusive on my stuff, but i inspect and check things meticulously. The cause of my wreck appears to have come from aggressive use of the curbing (like i said i abuse things) that caused the left rear rim to bend and break bead resulting in a flat at 110-mph. I only had 3 races on these wheels and to be honestI would never use them in a race again. I have several sets of Jongbloed wheels that have seen the same sort of abuse without FAILURE.

TMO Supporting Vendors