The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Falken RT660: recommendations for 18x11 Apex wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Spanish Fort, AL
I track a 2013 Brembo GT; remounted a set of 295/40-18 Falken RT660 tires on Apex 18x11 wheels in 2023. I have another set of identical wheel with 305 Pirelli slicks. The 295/40 tires match the diameter of the slicks and give a little more ground clearance on the street. My question for the group is if I went to a 315/30-18 tire, is that a significant improvement in grip on the same size wheel? They are 25.6" diameter vs the 27.4" diameter of the 295/40 tires.

thanks

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I track a 2013 Brembo GT; remounted a set of 295/40-18 Falken RT660 tires on Apex 18x11 wheels in 2023. I have another set of identical wheel with 305 Pirelli slicks. The 295/40 tires match the diameter of the slicks and give a little more ground clearance on the street. My question for the group is if I went to a 315/30-18 tire, is that a significant improvement in grip on the same size wheel? They are 25.6" diameter vs the 27.4" diameter of the 295/40 tires.

thanks
I'm going to be testing that combo soon. I've been running 295/40-18's, Falken 615's and 660's on Apex 18 x 11's. Getting 315/30-18's installed Thursday. It will be interesting to see what the results will be. I run autocross. Fit and clearance to be determined. Biggest issue I think I'm going to be dealing with is additional gear changes. Probably going to lose about 4 mph off the top of second gear. May need additional negative camber to keep the tires clear of the fenders out front and curious to see how tight the rear fender clearance will be.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I had about 2-3 seconds a lap improvement over a 3 mile track with a proper Michelin TCR take off slick vs. 200 TW Bridgestone RE71R or most any other 200 tw tire I ever threw at the car. I'm not sure if your Pirelli is a like a slick marketed to the public or the racecar slick

Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Spanish Fort, AL
Sorry I think my post was confusing. I need to buy a new set of street tires and I am leaning towards the Falken RT660. Just wondering if a 315/30 is a significant difference over a 295/40 for my 18x11 wheels.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
This was reported 3-4 years back, but there does not seem to be an issue anymore with the RT660s. Watching Jonathan Blevins hammer his GT 500 around the track in Hastings ( MPH ) at the Mustang Roundup , he seems to run with right with guys who have used race rubber. Oh, yeh, I forgot that his Ultimate Street Car winning beast is boasting 700-800 HP so that might help also.

Used race rubber ( Michelin or Pirelli ) is super quick and easily on par or even a little quicker than a set of A7s.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
This was reported 3-4 years back, but there does not seem to be an issue anymore with the RT660s. Watching Jonathan Blevins hammer his GT 500 around the track in Hastings ( MPH ) at the Mustang Roundup , he seems to run with right with guys who have used race rubber. Oh, yeh, I forgot that his Ultimate Street Car winning beast is boasting 700-800 HP so that might help also.

Used race rubber ( Michelin or Pirelli ) is super quick and easily on par or even a little quicker than a set of A7s.
I have eye-witness accounts going back to as short as late last year of tires that weren't older runs....

Play a stupid game, get a stupid prize as far as I'm concerned....

I'd look at the Continental Extreme Contact Sport or the Kumho V730(?) long before I look into buying a Falken.....

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No need to be rude Mr. Black. If the individual is looking for a competitive tire he might want to simply go to TireRack and peruse the 11 tire tests for his needs, as well as the tires that fit his wheels. Mr. Blevins and Sam Strano seem to have done fairly well using Falkens for a small example. After 42 years playing on tracks and autocrossing, and having been sponsored at times by BFG, Yokohama, Hoosier , Michelin, and Toyo, I could list issues almost all of them have incurred and in virtually all cases the concerns were addressed, though maybe not as quick as consumers/racers would want.

Last edited:

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Falken is also, I think, the only company with a contingency. They've also been spotty about everything from replacing the tire, no questions, to blaming it on you for running too low PSI. I dont intend to be rude. Its just a "caveat emptor." It seems like every month in racing season, someone who didn't know the issues buys the tires and posts how shocked they are it came apart.

Bugs

Jim. Avocation: Avoiding Blunt-Force Trauma.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
Just one more data point regarding the Falken RT660's. Last month, I installed my second set of RT660's for a two day event at Laguna Seca. I have seen no issues with either set (so far).

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel