The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 brake swap for s197

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
Wondering what is needed for this swap. From what I understand it requires s550 4 pot callipers and 2011 G500 rotors

wondering if all years of the S550 will work or if it’s only specific years.
Also wondering where is the best place to get the rotors.

I have a source for a pair of 2023 4 pot callipers locally which is what sparked this post

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Here is your homework on S197 brake upgrade.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
Here is your homework on S197 brake upgrade.

I believe I found my answer but then there is the question of if it’s even worth buying the 4 Pots or just buying the 6 pots. Only concern would be in the 6 pots will fit under my wheels in the front

I believe I found my answer but then there is the question of if it’s even worth buying the 4 Pots or just buying the 6 pots. Only concern would be in the 6 pots will fit under my wheels in the front
The 6 pots will not clear your gt500 wheels. I know you're on a budget. If the 4 pots are dirt cheap they're better than regular calipers. I don't know what is involved with a swap on those though. Guys have run the 4 pots. Maybe someone else can chime in on what's needed for the swap and positives and negatives about the 4 pots. You're also 150 ish pounds lighter than the V8 which is to your advantage with the 4 pots. If you can and do the swap, upgrade the pads front and rear otherwise you're kinda burning up cash and not utilizing the 4 pot capabilities.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
The 6 pots will not clear your gt500 wheels. I know you're on a budget. If the 4 pots are dirt cheap they're better than regular calipers. I don't know what is involved with a swap on those though. Guys have run the 4 pots. Maybe someone else can chime in on what's needed for the swap and positives and negatives about the 4 pots. You're also 150 ish pounds lighter than the V8 which is to your advantage with the 4 pots. If you can and do the swap, upgrade the pads front and rear otherwise you're kinda burning up cash and not utilizing the 4 pot capabilities.
This is what I was thinking aswell. If I later get different wheels some day will I be able to use the same brake lines and rotors with the 6 pots?

is it worth upgrading rear callipers or just getting a set of performance pads for the back?

This is what I was thinking aswell. If I later get different wheels some day will I be able to use the same brake lines and rotors with the 6 pots?

is it worth upgrading rear callipers or just getting a set of performance pads for the back?
I'm thinking you could use the same stainless lines with both brembos. The 4 pot rotors are smaller. Many of us still run the OEM rear calipers with upgraded pads.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel