The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 and probably S650 Rear brake line warning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford's way of mounting brake lines on these cars is pretty stupid. Fair warning that on some cars the rubber line loops out a lot more when it leaves the hard line block on the body. It would seem it has a lot to do with the clocking of bracket that bolts to the end of the sway bar when it is crimped to the brake line. But not only that, as I have seen issues with cars wearing aftermarket Stainless lines too.

You need to beware of this, and even more if you run bigger tires, or higher offset wheels, etc.

You know how I found out? After 1.5 years of pounding my Mach 1 all over, I slapped a set of A7's on it (which had been on before). Stock 315/30-19 size, on stock size wheels, with stock offsets too. Went to VIR. 3 sessions in, popped the LR brake line rolling into turn 1 at big speed. Yep it messed the car up. And turns out the right rear was almost ready to go too. But in the prior year and a half they never touched. Was it Hog Pens compression? Maybe, but ran VIR before without this issue. No rubbing at all.

Easy fix though, just tie the rubber lines back toward the hard line, and be very careful about slamming on the biggest tires you can because you heard "they fit". Remember these were NOT larger than stock at least in spec. I had run 325 street tires and not had the issue either. Just a bad combo of things that all popped up at once.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Sh!t Sam, glad your ok but sucks to hear this. I had posted about this last year on my car when I ran 325's and started using the steeda bar which seems to place the bracket mount a bit closer to the tire. Mine rubbed deep, but not through.

This picture shows the clearance I had and still rubbed - g-force maybe?
52761945941_37916e478f_c.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors