The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear brake calipers, how long are they lasting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi everyone. I seldom look at the TMO Facebook posts because I am older and feel more comfortable here, in this more serious environment. But, I decided to post a comment in a Facebook discussion, on how long do our track cars rear brake calipers last. Probable a mistake, as I was quickly irritated by some gurus response (serves me right for posting!). My source of irritation was, since I still have my original rear calipers after what must be over 500 hours of track time, there for; I must be slow. To be exact, slower then a speck Miata! After the irritation passed,,, (much longer then I should have taken..) I began to question myself on the wisdom of having OEM eternal rear calipers on the car that was regularly braking from 150mph. How many of you have your rear calipers as a consumable item?

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Hi everyone. I seldom look at the TMO Facebook posts because I am older and feel more comfortable here, in this more serious environment. But, I decided to post a comment in a Facebook discussion, on how long do our track cars rear brake calipers last. Probable a mistake, as I was quickly irritated by some gurus response (serves me right for posting!). My source of irritation was, since I still have me original rear calipers after what must be over 500 hours of track time, there for; I must be slow. To be exact, slower then a speck Miata! After the irritation passed,,, (much longer then I should have taken..) I began to question myself on the wisdom of having OEM eternal rear calipers on the car that was regularly braking from 150mph. How many of you have your rear calipers as a consumable item?
What’s frustrating is the source of the comment. This group has always supported and promoted his products, yet it never ceases to amaze me the rude comments. Not uncommon on FB, just usually from a much younger group. At the end of the day, AJ’s comments and experience trump everyone in that thread.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I had around 85,000 miles on the original rears including 35-40 track days. I swapped them out as preventative maintenance and shouldn't have. I went through a set of NAPA premium remans every weekend until I tracked down a set of new oem from my local ford dealer. They were hard to find at the time and the passenger side was located on a dealers shelf in Hawaii. I eventually tracked down another set for back up. My thoughts at this point are do not swap until you have to and then only use new oem calipers.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
I had around 85,000 miles on the original rears including 35-40 track days. I swapped them out as preventative maintenance and shouldn't have. I went through a set of NAPA premium remans every weekend until I tracked down a set of new oem from my local ford dealer. They were hard to find at the time and the passenger side was located on a dealers shelf in Hawaii. I eventually tracked down another set for back up. My thoughts at this point are do not swap until you have to and then only use new oem calipers.

You mean to tell me the rock auto ones for 89 bucks are no good.....LOL NO WAY :)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
What’s frustrating is the source of the comment. This group has always supported and promoted his products, yet it never ceases to amaze me the rude comments. Not uncommon on FB, just usually from a much younger group. At the end of the day, AJ’s comments and experience trump everyone in that thread.
Very true. I have tried to follow AJ's secret sauce for his legendary S197. Thanks go out to @blacksheep-1 for all the insider tips!

Very true. I have tried to follow AJ's secret sauce for his legendary S197. Thanks go out to @blacksheep-1 for all the insider tips!
Not too many " insider tips" on that car. I remember the guys at Phoenix allowing competitors at the SCCA runoffs at Laguna Seca to actually crawl under the car and ask questions.
Then the clowns had the nerve to protest the car... which they lost.
But that was the end of allowing competitors under the tent.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Insider was probably the wrong word, But have tried to follow the Phoenix recipe thats shared on TMO for making a fast S197. And I think its easy to prove that it works. Shouldn't've gotten riled up about it but truly do dislike opinionated ignorant Yahoos.

There will be differences of opinion until the end of time. To me a lot of people/companies are just into selling hard parts on perception, not working off real world knowledge or having to work within a tighter box for rules. When cars are new/recent working off the OEM parts supply is great, but now as cars age and oem quality calipers are not available, yes other options will need to be used, or solutions found. For the S197 that isn't as easy or economical as other cars however. Different uses produce different results as well. TC/no TC, parking brakes, and how much things are prepped. We lube the rear sliders quite often for example, and keep an eye on how much wear the brackets get from the axles flexing.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Will be keeping an eye out for set of OEM rear brakes in any case. Since the rear brakes give so few dramas and even pad wear is minimal (Pagid rsl29 pads seem to last for ever), will try to be more proactive and inspect/lube them more often.

TMO Supporting Vendors