The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Adjustable shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
both rear stock shocks on my 2014 S197 have failed and I’ve been looking into aftermarket/performance replacement

my main question is. Are adjustable shocks worth the extra money and is the adjustability actually noticeable

I am a student trying to build a fun street and track car without having to spend an arm and a leg.
any recommendations on specific parts is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I ran koni oranges with Steeda sport springs on my 2011 for several years and was happy with the combination on street and track. The car was more composed but not too harsh. I switched to Koni yellows and Steeda competition springs when the oranges started getting tired. The ride is a little stiffer but I like the handling better.

The oranges were kind of like the yellows at the softer end of the adjustment. Once you dial in the adjustment to your liking you probably won’t play with them much but it us nice to be able to dial them to your liking in the beginning. Non-adjustable are fine if they are a good match for the spring you are running.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
I ran koni oranges with Steeda sport springs on my 2011 for several years and was happy with the combination on street and track. The car was more composed but not too harsh. I switched to Koni yellows and Steeda competition springs when the oranges started getting tired. The ride is a little stiffer but I like the handling better.

The oranges were kind of like the yellows at the softer end of the adjustment. Once you dial in the adjustment to your liking you probably won’t play with them much but it us nice to be able to dial them to your liking in the beginning. Non-adjustable are fine if they are a good match for the spring you are running.
Awesome thanks!
Is there a way to know if the springs and shocks are a good match other then just using them on the car? I’m thinking something in the specs

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
There is no spec that I am aware of. If you’re running stock springs you should be fine with koni oranges, Bilsteins or even the Steeda brand non adjustable shocks. The koni oranges and Steeda S-197 shocks are similar. Steeda engineers have told me they use which ever is in stock or on sale at the time. If after market springs ask advice from seller as to a good shock pairing.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
There is no spec that I am aware of. If you’re running stock springs you should be fine with koni oranges, Bilsteins or even the Steeda brand non adjustable shocks. The koni oranges and Steeda S-197 shocks are similar. Steeda engineers have told me they use which ever is in stock or on sale at the time. If after market springs ask advice from seller as to a good shock pairing.
Okay awesome! I’ll do some more research

@Tim.ocon Yes the adjustability on the Koni yellows is very noticeable. Two common "much better than stock" shock options are the Koni yellows or Bilsteins. The Konis are rebound adjustable but the Bilsteins are monotube and a lot of people consider them a little better quality. But either is a great choice. I've used both and the flexibility of adjusting the Konis is nice.

Be sure to check out Billy Johnson and his build thread on the S197: https://motoiq.com/project-budget-400whp-s197-mustang-track-car-part-7-springs-shocks-and-bars/

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
@Tim.ocon Yes the adjustability on the Koni yellows is very noticeable. Two common "much better than stock" shock options are the Koni yellows or Bilsteins. The Konis are rebound adjustable but the Bilsteins are monotube and a lot of people consider them a little better quality. But either is a great choice. I've used both and the flexibility of adjusting the Konis is nice.

Be sure to check out Billy Johnson and his build thread on the S197: https://motoiq.com/project-budget-400whp-s197-mustang-track-car-part-7-springs-shocks-and-bars/
I was looking at that thread earlier and it seems to have a lot of good info.
I think the konis will be what I end up going with

We loved our Koni Yellows for the price on our S197 when we ran it in street class autocross. Turn then "stiff" for autocross and then "soft" for daily driving (My wife drove it daily for 3-4 years). You could definitely feel the difference between stiff and soft.

DaveW

TMO Supporting Vendors