Front Brake Upgrade Options

Discussion in 'Brakes, Wheels and Tires' started by VoodooBoss, Nov 16, 2013.

1. twistedneck

twistedneck TMO Race

Considering high end brake system this winter.

Cortex 6 pot stoptech trophy system (so happy w my cortex jri struts and shocks, im sure brakes will be excellent)

http://cortexracing.com/product/stoptech-str40-355-x-35mm-s197-spec-mustang-brake-system/

Kohr Brembo 6 pot (these guys at Kohr do awesome work and are within 15 min of my house)

https://www.kohrmotorsports.com/product/2012-13-boss-302-15-brembo-brake-kit-6-piston-caliper/

What about AP?

PFC?

If you get the car u der 3200lbs w/o driver should i use the 14" four pot instead of 15" six pot?

2. barspen

barspen TMO Advanced

Agree...and I would look for a wider tire. I run 275 NT01's on my 18x9.5 rims (square setup) and they work great on road courses. Great longevity and good grip.

I recently went with a coated SS lines (Goodridge Phantom) to prevent any damage under the SS braids, that would not be not visible with a normal inspection. I'll have my first session on those in a couple month.

The rear '13-'14 GT500 upgrade (13.8" rotors) is more for aesthetics than function. I used a billet adapter bracket, so I didn't have to pull the axels and they have been solid for years. The larger rotors will dissipate heat better, but not much else in my expensive. The only real downside...you will have a limited choice for more exotic, higher-end rotors. If you want standard drilled, slotted or blanks, you will be fine. But if you want 2-piece or cryo treated, it will be a challenge to find or will cost extra.

3. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

@twistedneck I had the Stoptech kit on my Boss and really liked it. They use Porsche size brake pads so there are lots of pad options available. Also their rotor ring replacements are more affordable than others.

If money is not a concern I’d look at the AP kit.

twistedneck likes this.
  4. Coz

Coz TMO Race

For the rear I used the adapter blocks but then went to the GT500 axle brackets when I upgraded my rear & axles. No difference between the adapters and the GT500 brackets with respect to performance. Either way, I feel the performance is improved and the rear calipers run cooler.

I'll sell my used adapter blocks (eBay ones from ncmustangparts) if anyone is interested.

I kept the stock dust shields on but the outer 2" of the rotor & the caliper are out in the open.

I use the Centric/StopTech slotted rotors from RockAuto.

twistedneck likes this.
  5. Coz

Coz TMO Race

What p/n were these and did they come with all the OEM style brackets to allow attachment of the ABS cables, etc?

Thanks!

twistedneck likes this.
  6. barspen

barspen TMO Advanced

Goodridge 12364BKC Phantom Brake Lines

Had all the connectors and washers, etc to fit on a 2005-2014 Mustang GT/GT500.

twistedneck likes this.
  7. Coz

Coz TMO Race

Interesting. I was looking for the Phantom series but when you look at what is available, there is nothing past 2010 for the GT500. However, they have a G+StopStop se specifically for the 13-14 GT500. It's the 12367.

https://www.opmustang.com/store/p11...e_Kit_-_2013-2014_SHELBY_GT500_Mustang.html#/

Besides the visible difference of the hose construction, I wonder what the difference, if any, is in the brackets or fittings

8. barspen

barspen TMO Advanced

I have a 2011 GT500 with stock 4-piston Brembos. No issue with fitment with the 12364BKC.

When you are doing the product search, make sure you expand the detail in the fitment description and try a few different websites. Also might want to call one of the suppliers to make sure you are good on fitment.

I believe the lines or fittings for the '13-'14 6-piston Brembos are different. Others may be able to confirm.

twistedneck and VoodooBoss like this.
  9. Champale

Champale TMO Race

10. twistedneck

twistedneck TMO Race

Is it the shape that makes them better or the cast vs forged material grade and process? because looking at the typical cast vs forged alloy comparison I can't find the big increases in the forged material that make it better.. but i'm not a brake caliper engineer so I just looked at a380 vs. 4024 and 2618 - they seem to be similar I couldn't find high temp creep strength data for the cast alloys so that might point them having an issue there.. however adding a ton of copper and with Li in the mix now i'm not sure the material is the difference - maybe someone here can clarify that?

11. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

12. dabossinnne

dabossinnne TMO Addict

I will have a complete Brembo "Pro" series racing brake setup for sale very soon. Basically it's the Boss 302S front brake setup. Includes aluminum 4-piston calipers, radial mounts, 2 sets of 355mm Brembo 2-pc floating rotors (one set is un-used), extra hats, multiple sets of 25mm Pagid and PFC pads, and misc hardware. I will also be selling a 4" front brake duct kit including trick custom bumper inlets (fits 2013-2014 Mustang/Boss) to go along with it. Coming soon to the Parts for Sale section...stay tuned!

Last edited: May 1, 2019