The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Heel-toe downshifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The term heel toe comes from the old days, pre war ( WW II ) race cars. The throttle pedal at that time, on some car, was between the clutch pedal ( on the left ) and the brake pedal on the right. So, with this in mind you can see why it's called heel toe.

In modern cars, the ball of your foot ( just under your big toe ) is used on the brake and the your little toe or edge of your foot is used. It feels awkward at first but you will get used to it. Practice in your street car and it will eventually become second nature.

ShaneM said:
I've tried it both ways, moving the heel over takes longer IMHO. i roll the outside of the foot over to hit the throttle simpoly by sort of slinging the leg over makes for a very fast shift and smooth shift. i had a problem with my foot slipping off the brake though on several track days. i ordered these, fixed the problem.

http://www.srpracing.com/pd-mustang-2005-racing-pedals.cfm

I have to get used to the larger pedals though, i found my self still on the gas and brake a few times without realizing it the first day out with them.

Those are some nice pedals. Do you have any pics of them on your Boss?

Nice2BEtheBOSS said:
ShaneM said:
I've tried it both ways, moving the heel over takes longer IMHO. i roll the outside of the foot over to hit the throttle simpoly by sort of slinging the leg over makes for a very fast shift and smooth shift. i had a problem with my foot slipping off the brake though on several track days. i ordered these, fixed the problem.

I have to get used to the larger pedals though, i found my self still on the gas and brake a few times without realizing it the first day out with them.

i didn't take any on the car pics, the install was a massive PITA. if you have an angle drill use it.

The coolest thing about the boss is that I get to Heel-toe everywhere I go!!!! I always ruin my street cars by making them race cars and not drivable on the street. Since I already have a race car this car will see double duty. So, everywhere I go is race practice. Cant wait to get the boss on the track. It may be the most fun to drive of any of my cars so far!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
boss1 said:
The coolest thing about the boss is that I get to Heel-toe everywhere I go!!!! I always ruin my street cars by making them race cars and not drivable on the street. Since I already have a race car this car will see double duty. So, everywhere I go is race practice. Cant wait to get the boss on the track. It may be the most fun to drive of any of my cars so far!
Pics of your other cars?

Well I guess I will have to work on it.... The above link takes you to a photobucket page that I just loaded some pictures of the Cayman S on. We just built it last year. So far just 5 or 6 DEs at VIR. Doing NASA comp school in march and then some PCA club racing...

boss1 said:
Well I guess I will have to work on it.... The above link takes you to a photobucket page that I just loaded some pictures of the Cayman S on. We just built it last year. So far just 5 or 6 DEs at VIR. Doing NASA comp school in march and then some PCA club racing...
Great looking car. I run with the PCA quite a bit at BIR. I definitely need to trek to VIR one of these days.

Nice looking Cayman S. Are those wheels CCW's?

2011-11-19_12-00-53_2.png

No these are OZ Alleggerita. I also had a few sets of the CCWs and they are awesome. Thank you for getting a picture up for me.

Is NASA comp school the one to do? I'm in group 3 in my almost finished Spec E30 and want to advance to w2w but have hit a plateau. Any other schools you guys would recommend?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NASA CS is probably the least expensive route to get a comp license. Otherwise you are looking at a pro school like Skip Barber or Bondurant, and $4-5k in classes. Not saying that you won't learn a lot there, but it's spendy.

Nice2BEtheBOSS said:
ShaneM said:

Here how mine look.
New%2520Boss%2520Pedals-3.jpg

Coming from a 98 M3, I thought the Bosses pedals were to far apart for the rolling of the foot technique that I was use too. When I went to the Boss Track Attack, the instructor said I could be smother if I lifted my heel off the floor before applying the brakes, then blipping with my heal like rocketman link says to do. With practice, I could see how that would work well in the Boss.

Coming from an Evo, I am just glad my foot only covers one pedal at a time. I had to wear undersized driving shoes every time I drove it.

TMO Supporting Vendors