The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Honey Badger GT350 Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
Interesting.
So it’s two row, two pass and the second pass is the second row of tubes. Different than the usual 3 separate passes across the radiator with baffles in the tanks flowing in an ’’S” pattern. Very clever.
Thanks for indulging me. 😎
No worries. I am pretty excited about it. Should let me run an electric pump and reduce a ton of drag. And the ginormous oil cooler should allow me to keep the RPMs up. Perfect for the sequential ha

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
No worries. I am pretty excited about it. Should let me run an electric pump and reduce a ton of drag. And the ginormous oil cooler should allow me to keep the RPMs up. Perfect for the sequential ha
I guess the next question would be, will it get enough airflow through it at the speeds you plan to run.....efficient ducting is going to be crucial here.
Will you be on gas or e85?

TX
I guess the next question would be, will it get enough airflow through it at the speeds you plan to run.....efficient ducting is going to be crucial here.
It should - my plan is to run mostly high speed tracks like COTA, Road Atlanta, VIR, Daytona, Road America. So I am not too worried - but I will take it as a personal afront to my development if it overheats in slow tracks.

The ducting will mirror GT3-level builds - so 1/3 radiator size inlet with a ramped duct to increase air speed. Will then be ducted out the hood through big ducts like the new GT3 mustang.

And yep, will be running E85 exclusively. Will have a backup Race Gas tune if needed, but I personally run e85 exclusively

TX
Here's some additional detail of what I am talking about

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here's some additional detail of what I am talking about

Good article.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
There’s a video on YouTube that shows this same layout of an aircraft intake. I’ll post it when I come across it again.

TX
A much anticipated item showed up today from Mr Hartman. Going to be a little before I can really start to mock it up because I am waiting on the Penskes to get the car on the ground, but definitely excited.

IMG_1434.JPGIMG_1431.JPG

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
A much anticipated item showed up today from Mr Hartman. Going to be a little before I can really start to mock it up because I am waiting on the Penskes to get the car on the ground, but definitely excited.

View attachment 87660View attachment 87661

That's one bummer about how deep my fuel cell is....no way to put a diffuser in there.
I wonder exactly how much I'm missing performance wise?

TX
That's one bummer about how deep my fuel cell is....no way to put a diffuser in there.
I wonder exactly how much I'm missing performance wise?
I fortunately thought about it before I fully welded stuff together was able to make a different cage that moved it up 2 inches. Now I have about 1/4in clearance to work with - so still going to be tight for me.

Re: performance. There's probably a decent amount there for tracks like Willowsprings/Buttonwillow. Not sure on Sonoma/Laguna Seca. @AJ Hartman might have some thoughts on how much a diffuser could add to your car.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I fortunately thought about it before I fully welded stuff together was able to make a different cage that moved it up 2 inches. Now I have about 1/4in clearance to work with - so still going to be tight for me.

Re: performance. There's probably a decent amount there for tracks like Willowsprings/Buttonwillow. Not sure on Sonoma/Laguna Seca. @AJ Hartman might have some thoughts on how much a diffuser could add to your car.
Yeah, I hung mine down low ala stock car style for a lower center of gravity with no thought of ever putting a diffuser on it.
Bad Sal.....bad bad!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sal,

Concerning how much performance you are losing not having a diffuser, I think it can be summed up thusly;

SCCA Champion, NASA Champion, Regional Champion, Italian Chianti and Spaghetti Eating Champion, Fabrication Champion, Destroyer of Hoosiers Champion , Champion Poster on TMO, etc.

Naw , you aren't hurt at all !!!!

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sal,

Concerning how much performance you are losing not having a diffuser, I think it can be summed up thusly;

SCCA Champion, NASA Champion, Regional Champion, Italian Chianti and Spaghetti Eating Champion, Fabrication Champion, Destroyer of Hoosier Champion , Champion Poster on TMO, etc.

Naw , you aren't hurt at all !!!!
You're killing me here...

TX
As I posted in the aftermarket steering column thread - got my steering column situated sorted (check out that thread for full parts list). Saves good weight - and more importantly for me - works with my stripped dash.

IMG_1451.jpegIMG_1452.jpegIMG_1453.jpeg

I also got my AIM 10in race dash mounted to the steering column. The wheel still blocks off a bit of the top corners. Hmm...one of @AJ Hartman 's CF yokes might be in my future. We'll after I get on track.

IMG_1450.jpegIMG_1449.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing