The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Huge brake upgrade for S197 chassis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Personally I run the same set of R10's that I have had on for far too long due to lack of track time. I can exceed them and the tire but I have used them at some tracks that are hard on brakes, like Sebring. I think the are very livable on the street but they are a 1400F track compound
That's where I'm at these days.

Though with only a 4.6L I'm perhaps not as needy of anything further up the food chain. Some (including me) have found that the 12-level pad (CT's XP12, actually) doesn't seem to last as long as the 10's, so if I ever do need to move up from 10's I'll be skipping over the 12's.

Norm

US
That's where I'm at these days.

Though with only a 4.6L I'm perhaps not as needy of anything further up the food chain. Some (including me) have found that the 12-level pad (CT's XP12, actually) doesn't seem to last as long as the 10's, so if I ever do need to move up from 10's I'll be skipping over the 12's.

Norm
When I called CT after cooking thru 2 sets of 12s in 4 days, they informed me that those were actually softer than the 8 10/ 16 18 pads. When I went to 16s, pad life improved under same conditions. Not being able to shut off traction control 100% really cooks my brakes as I do run the car at 10/10ths. Bought the 302S abs module for this year and really hoping front brake temps go down. I have ran through 8 sets of front CT pads , 6 sets of rotors and so far, the rears CT 10s I put on with my 1st set of fronts are not even 5% used yet! No rear bias and apparently the TC uses the front brakes only to control yaw etc. Looking forward to this new abs module so I know TC is OFF!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if Raybestos makes pads for these calipers? I just picked some up to install on my 2006 and would love to run the ST-43 or ST-45 compound.

US
Update- running CT 24s up front and CT 12s in rear with the 302S ABS module and it soooooo much better. Brakes are sokid and not overheating and im getting rear pad use now. Its perfect

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Lol. Their search drop down boxes for a Mustang stink! Too many options that don't make sense.

I found the FMSI pad profile # based on a general search for 2015 PP pads. Then I just searched for 1792 under "Search for parts" on Porterfields site.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Putting fixed calipers in lieu of sliding calipers on the back requires more than just a relocation bracket. The play in the axles will cause piston knock-back that may result in more pedal travel until the pistons/pads move out to contact the rotor again.

DFW, TX
Putting fixed calipers in lieu of sliding calipers on the back requires more than just a relocation bracket. The play in the axles will cause piston knock-back that may result in more pedal travel until the pistons/pads move out to contact the rotor again.

In my old vintage car I used tapered roller bearings (full floater axles are difficult to package with mandated rear drum brakes). Those bearings can actually can take side load where roller bearings do not. Does anybody use these on S197 cars? I see Moser has a SKF tapered roller bearing option for their custom 8.8" rear ends. They probably require special housing ends as the bearing is wider than stock. Normal axle bearings would last about two race weekends before they made noise. The tapered roller bearing should have less side deflection under load and basically lasted forever me.

I also used ST43 pads with great success on the front of my old car.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
I followed-up on the rear GT350 option from Full Tilt Boogie Racing and this was their response,

"Hello Charles,

We currently do not have anything available (for the rear). We have been working on something but it is still in the R&D stage and not sure if it will make it to the market yet. Keep your eye out on Facebook and our site for any updates or details in the future.

Sincerely,
James & The FTBR Team"

Given that they have a working front bracket, I remain hopeful for a possible solution for the rears. It certainly will not be simple but this group has done some amazing work thus far. If I hear or learn of something new I will certainly let you all know.

Best,
Charles

Last edited:
I followed-up on the rear GT350 option from Full Tilt Boogie Racing and this was their response,

"Hello Charles,

We currently do not have anything available (for the rear). We have been working on something but it is still in the R&D stage and not sure if it will make it to the market yet. Keep your eye out on Facebook and our site for any updates or details in the future.

Sincerely,
James & The FTBR Team"

Given that they have a working front bracket, I remain hopeful for a possible solution for the rears. It certainly will not be simply but this group has done some amazing work thus far. If I hear or learn of something new I will certainly let you all know.

Best,
Charles
Lets hope it works out, my wallet's ready haha!

Soooo, I did a few auto X events in 18 with the set up, no issues at all. I wasn't able to get to one of the big tracks here though (Laguna, Sonoma ETC). I was on Vorshlags YouTube page this week and he did a video on upgrading the S550 4 pots to this setup, he said that the master cylinder HAD to be replaced on the s550 when doing this set up. Is this the same for the s197? Any of you running this set up see any issues on big tracks and high speeds?

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere but I couldn't find it. Has anyone running the S550 Brembo 6-piston 15" on the S197 know if the BBS 18x10 Boss 302S wheels will clear these calipers? Thanks!

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere but I couldn't find it. Has anyone running the S550 Brembo 6-piston 15" on the S197 know if the BBS 18x10 Boss 302S wheels will clear these calipers? Thanks!

They do, barely. May have to play with spacers to get past the barrel taper. The apex ec7 is a similar wheel but clears way better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors